Solve Ly=y''(x)+4xy'(x)-2x for Linear Functionals

In summary, the conversation involves finding Ly for a given function and determining if it is a linear functional. The participant uses the definition of a linear functional and applies it to the function to find Ly. There is a small mistake in the application of the last term, but with correction, the correct solution is found. The conversation ends with the participant expressing gratitude for the help provided.
UrbanXrisis
I'm not quite sure if this is a linear functional but the question asks:

if [tex]L=D^2+4xD-2x[/tex] and [tex]y(x)=2x-4e^{5x}[/tex]

I am to find Ly=?

My first impressions to solve this is the take [tex]Ly=y''(x)+4xy'(x)-2x[/tex]

i'm not quite sure how to solve this but I got:

[tex]y''(x)=-100e^{5x}[/tex]
[tex]y'(x)=-20e^{5x}+2[/tex]

and then I plug it into [tex]Ly=y''(x)+4xy'(x)-2x[/tex]

I don't think I did this correctly, could someone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think you did it incorrectly? It certainly looks OK to me (unless you plugged in the values incorrectly). To see whether it's a linear functional, just apply the definition of linear functional.

I got: [tex]Ly=-100e^{5x}+4x(-20e^{5x}+2)-2x[/tex]

would that be it? I plugged this into my internet answer recorder and it gave me an incorrect.. not sure why

There is a small mistake.

The last term in L hasn't been applied correctly.

Regards,
George

oops! yeah...missed that one!

i don't understand, what is wrong with the last term? it doesn't have a D so doesn't it stay as -2x?

UrbanXrisis said:
i don't understand, what is wrong with the last term? it doesn't have a D so doesn't it stay as -2x?

Remember, you're applying L to y, i.e., you're finding Ly.

Regards,
George

If you don't see the D, that doesn't mean it isn't there (there are many examples of things not seen that are still there, and I'm sure you can come up with several). You can think of it as D0, if that helps.

If L = -2x, then Ly = ?

Regards,
George

[tex]-2x(2x-4e^{5x})[/tex]

thank you for the help!

1. What is a linear functional?

A linear functional is a mathematical function that maps a vector space to its underlying field of scalars. It can also be defined as a linear transformation from a vector space to its underlying field.

2. How do you solve for a linear functional?

To solve for a linear functional, you must first define the functional and its underlying vector space. Then, you can use mathematical techniques such as substitution, integration, and differentiation to solve for the functional.

3. What is the difference between a linear functional and a linear equation?

A linear functional is a function that maps a vector space to its underlying field of scalars, while a linear equation is an algebraic equation that involves only linear terms. In other words, a linear functional is a type of linear equation, but not all linear equations are linear functionals.

4. What is the role of linear functionals in solving differential equations?

Linear functionals play a crucial role in solving differential equations, as they can be used to find solutions to the equations by transforming them into simpler forms. They can also help in determining boundary conditions and verifying the uniqueness of solutions.

5. Can linear functionals be used to solve non-linear equations?

No, linear functionals are specifically designed to solve linear equations. They cannot be used to solve non-linear equations, which involve terms with powers higher than one or other non-linear functions.