Calculating Energy Production of a Linear Generator

In summary, the conversation involves the speaker seeking guidance on calculating the energy produced by a linear generator over a given period of time. They have questions about how to calculate the rate of change of flux through the coil, the total energy produced, and the potential impact of time on the energy produced. They also mention keeping safety in mind and using kinetic and electrical shielding. The conversation also includes a graphic of a linear generator and a link to an image of a model with "Bucky Balls."
Petrucci
Before building a linear generator I am trying to figure out how much energy it will produce over a given period of time, but I'm having trouble getting my head around it.

Firstly, assuming I can measure displacement (of the magnet) vs. time, specifications of the magnet, and the dimensions of the coil), can / how do I calculate rate of change of flux through the coil?

The big one: Can / How do you calculate total energy produced?

One last little querie: Is the total energy produced by moving a magnet a distance d in a coil dependent on the time it takes to do so? In other words will moving it d in 2 seconds produce more(or less) energy than moving it the same distance in 4 seconds?

Any guidance is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
0 .. :(

The energy it delivers will be V*I integrated over the time of the linear stroke. V will be the open circuit EMF which will be equal to the time derivative of the flux. So the faster the magnet moves, the higher the voltage. The current will depend on the load you connect to it. Maximum power transfer will occurr when the load has the same resistance as the generator's coils.

As an added suggestion, keep safety foremost in mind.
Both kinetic and electrical shielding.

Thanks very much for that.

Alas, 1 little thing... (assuming you know the structure of the generator and can measure displacement vs. time of the magnet) Is there a way to figure out the time derivative of the flux theoretically? OR, do you have to directly measure voltage with respect to time and then figure it out?

Cheers.

Did you figure out the equation for the stroke displacement with the cycles per second for the V output?

I am still trying to figure this out but no one seems to know.

Anything would be appreciated.

I drew a graphic of a linear generator and put some questions on it. Does this represent the problem that you are discussing? I would like to build a model with some "Bucky Balls" (very cool toys). Here is the link to the image; http://gravitybuoyancy.com/lingen.jpg

1. How does a linear generator calculate energy production?

A linear generator calculates energy production by converting mechanical energy into electrical energy through the movement of a magnet and coil within a linear motion.

2. What factors affect the energy production of a linear generator?

The energy production of a linear generator is affected by the strength of the magnets, the speed of movement, the length of the coil, and the amount of resistance in the circuit.

3. Can the energy production of a linear generator be increased?

Yes, the energy production of a linear generator can be increased by using stronger magnets, increasing the speed of movement, or adding more coils to the system.

4. How is the energy production of a linear generator measured?

The energy production of a linear generator is measured in watts, which is the unit of power. This can be calculated by multiplying the voltage output by the current.

5. What are some applications of a linear generator?

A linear generator can be used in renewable energy systems, such as wave or tidal power, where the linear motion of the waves or tides can be harnessed to generate electricity. It can also be used in mechanical systems, such as bicycles or vehicles, to convert their movement into electrical energy.