Proving SL(2,R) is a Subgroup of GL(2,R)

• Thread starter mattmns
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subgroup
In summary, I have a problem that statesThe Special linear group by: (Let R denote real numbers)SL(2,R) = \{ A\in GL(2,R): det(A)=1\}Prove that SL(2,R) is a subgroup of GL(2,R).H is a subset of G consisting of all 2x2 matrices that have determinant 1.The identity matrix is in H.If x and y are in H, then it means det(x) = 1 and det(y) = 1, so what can you say about det(xy)?If det
mattmns
I have a problem that states

Define the Special linear group by: (Let R denote real numbers)

[tex]SL(2,R) = \{ A\in GL(2,R): det(A)=1\}[/tex]

Prove that SL(2,R) is a subgroup of GL(2,R).

___

Now a subset H of a group G is a subgroup if:
i) [tex]1 \in H[/tex]
ii) if [tex] x,y \in H[/tex], then [tex]xy \in H[/tex]
iii) if [tex]if x\in H[/tex], then [tex]x^{-1} \in H[/tex]

I have very little knowledge of matricies and I don't even see how 1 could be in SL(2,R), other than maybe something saying that GL(2,R) has 1, so SL(2,R) must have it too, but I bet there is a more appropriate way.

Also what would H be here? Would it a set containing matricies or numbers?

Physics news on Phys.org
In your case you should identify G with the group/set GL(2) and H with the group/set (to be proved) SL(2). G is the set of all 2x2 matrices with real entries, and H is the subset of G consisting of all 2x2 matrices that have determinant 1. When trying to prove something is in H, you've got to figure out it if its determinant is 1, right? So you're goal is always to show that the determinant is 1 when trying to prove that something is a member of H.

First, is the identity in H? H is the set of all 2x2 matrices with unit determinant, so does I fit the bill?

Second, if x and y are in H, then it means det(x) = 1 and det(y) = 1, so what can you say about det(xy)?

Third, if det(x) = 1, then what can you say about det(x^-1)?

So 1 is not in H then.

1 is instead the identity matrix:

[tex] \begin{array}{cc}1&0\\0&1\end{array}[/tex]

Last edited:
You are right that the number 1 is not in H since H consists of 2x2 matrices. The identity matrix is in H, however.

Last edited:
Ok, so I then prove that the identity matrix is in H, that seems much more possible.

Well certainly the identity matrix is in G, and also the det(identity Matrix) = 1.

Great, step 1 down.

Ok I figured out the whole problem. Thanks for the help!

Ok a similar problem.

Prove that GL(2,Q) is a subgroup of GL(2,R)

I have done the first two steps, but the inverse is throwing me off.

Is there something that says the determinant cannot be 0? Because my book defines the following
if x =
[tex] \begin{array}{cc}d&-c\\-b&a\end{array}[/tex]
then x-1 =
[tex]\begin{array}{cc}d/det&-c/det\\-b/det&a/det\end{array}[/tex]

So unless there is something that says these two groups cannot have determinants of 0, then I am not sure what is going on with the problem. Thanks!

In GL(2,Q) what does the Q mean? I don't believe I've ever seen that before.

Also, the definition of the general linear group includes the requirement that the matrices be invertible, so they must all have determinant not equal to zero.

Sorry. The Q represents rational numbers (a/b: a,b are integers, and b [tex]\neq[/tex] 0)

Last edited:
Right, of course. Well if you've got everything except the inverse then you're basically done. You know the inverse exists because the matrices come from [tex] GL(2,Q) \subset GL(2,R) [/tex]. Now all you have to do is prove all the elements of the inverse are rational numbers.

edit2.. Ok, I got it now. Thanks for the help again!

Last edited:

What is SL(2,R)?

SL(2,R) is the special linear group of 2x2 matrices with real entries. This means that the determinant of these matrices is equal to 1.

What is GL(2,R)?

GL(2,R) is the general linear group of 2x2 matrices with real entries. This means that the determinant of these matrices can be any non-zero real number.

What does it mean for SL(2,R) to be a subgroup of GL(2,R)?

A subgroup is a subset of a group that also satisfies the group axioms. In this case, SL(2,R) is a subgroup of GL(2,R) because it is a subset of GL(2,R) and it also satisfies the group axioms of closure, associativity, identity, and inverse.

How do you prove that SL(2,R) is a subgroup of GL(2,R)?

To prove that SL(2,R) is a subgroup of GL(2,R), we need to show that it satisfies the group axioms and that it is a subset of GL(2,R). This can be done by showing that the identity matrix is in SL(2,R), that the product of any two matrices in SL(2,R) is also in SL(2,R), and that the inverse of any matrix in SL(2,R) is also in SL(2,R).

Why is proving SL(2,R) is a subgroup of GL(2,R) important?

Proving that SL(2,R) is a subgroup of GL(2,R) is important because it allows us to understand the relationship between these two groups and how they are related to each other. It also helps us to understand the structure of these groups and their properties, which can be useful in various areas of mathematics and science.