1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Homogeneous Systems

1. Oct 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If a linear homogeneous system Ax=0 has a non - trivial solution and A is an n x n matrix, then (choose ALL correct answers)

A. A has rank less than n
    B. Each system Ax=b with the same coefficient matrix A has a solution
    C. A is row equivalent to I
    D. If Ax=b has one solution it has many
    E. A is invertible

If a linear homogeneous system Ax = 0 has a non - trivial solution and A is n x n, then (choose ALL correct answers)

A. A is invertible
    B. A has rank less than n
    C. A is row equivalent to I
    D. If Ax = b has one solution it has many
    E. Each system Ax = b with the same coefficient matrix A has a solution

3. The attempt at a solution

So I looked through my notes for these two questions, found some properties and chose the answers the notes led me to believe were true, but I got both incorrect. I only have one attempt left on each question so I want to make sure I'm 100% sure on the answers Ibefore I try. Could anyone give me a nudge in the right direction? ie. explain linear homogeneous systems?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2009 #2
    what were the properties that led you to the incorrect answers? What were those answers?

It would help if I knew what I needed to explain.

4. Oct 2, 2009 #3
    My notes said that a square matrix is also invertible, and is row equivalent to I

5. Oct 2, 2009 #4
    Oh, ok. Only a square matrix can be invertible. Not all of them are. Your notes must be mistaken.

6. Oct 2, 2009 #5
    So even though it's a square it isn't necessarily invertible?

7. Oct 2, 2009 #6
    precisely. Read https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2369970&postcount=22" post. I wrote it for somebody that was really being dense so if it seems like it's talking down to you a little, don't take it personally ;)

It gives the simplest examples possible of a matrix equation where the matrix is not invertible. If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  8. Oct 2, 2009 #7
    Okay thanks for the link. But I'm still kind of lost about the other choices

9. Oct 2, 2009 #8
    The only true statement in both cases is that A has rank less than n.

10. Oct 2, 2009 #9
    There's one more true statement. Which is of course equivalent to the one that you mentioned.

11. Oct 3, 2009 #10
    Sorry what? So A has rank less than n, and there is one more true statement other than that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook