1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Impulse/Momentum

1. Nov 11, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A block A (mass m) is projected up a slope at 17 m/s. The coefficient of dynamic friction is 0.27 and θ = 15˚. How long will it take for the mass's speed to drop to 5 m/s?

**Let x direction be along the incline, y direction is normal to incline

2. Relevant equations

1 being point of initial velocity
    2 being point of final velocity

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]mv_i-\mu_dNt=mv_f[/tex] (1)

sum forces in y direction:[tex]N-mgcos(\theta)[/tex] (2)

Sub 2 into 1: [tex]mv_i-\mu_dmgcos(\theta)t=mv_f[/tex]

m (MASS) cancels out and we are left with: [tex]t=\frac{v_f-v_i}{\mu_dmgcos(\theta)}[/tex]

Giving me a value of 3.55 s, whereas the answer should be 1.66 s.

Any help would be appreciated!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would shy away from trying to solve this problem using momentum change, which is a result of the net forces acting on the object (you left out gravity), because you can get messed up very quickly. Instead, identify all the forces acting and use newton2 to solve for the acceleration , and basic kinematics to solve for the time. Or use energy methods if you're familiar with that approach.
  4. Nov 11, 2007 #3
    Yea, It is a bit safer your way, and I got it using Impulse/Momentum change too, Thanks for your help Phanthom
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?