What is the Linear Impulse of a Potato with Changing Speed?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of linear impulse and its relation to the change in momentum of a 0.30 kg potato that changes speed from 6.0 m/s to 2.0 m/s. The formula for calculating the linear impulse is given as force multiplied by time, which is equal to the total change in momentum of the object. The conversation also clarifies that the two definitions of impulse - integral of F*dt and mv_f - mv_i - are equivalent.
lokobreed

Homework Statement

A 0.30 kg potato speed changes from 6.0 m/s to 2.0 m/s. What is the linear impulse of the potato

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

mv(final) - mv(initial)
.3 * 2-.3 * 6 =

This gives me the change but after that I am lost... any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi lokobreed! :smile:
lokobreed said:
What is the linear impulse of the potato

mv(final) - mv(initial)
.3 * 2-.3 * 6 =

This gives me the change but after that I am lost... any help?

but that's it!

(linear) impulse is total change in (linear) momentum, so just say what the units are, and you're done! :smile:

so the above question and this "A 0.30 kg potato speed changes from 6.0 m/s to 2.0 m/s. What is the change in momentum of the potato" mean the same thing?

for this question i got 1.2 kg m/s from subtracting mv(i) from mv (f), but i thought that this was just for the change in momentum and linear impulse (the above question) meant something else...

no, force = rate of change of momentum,

and impulse = ∫ force*time = total change of momentum :wink:

Tim thank you very much for your help. Could you just clarify what you said please.

1) A 0.30 kg potato speed changes from 6.0 m/s to 2.0 m/s. What is the change in momentum of the potato - this is mv(f) - mv(i) ?

2) A 0.30 kg potato speed changes from 6.0 m/s to 2.0 m/s. What is the linear impulse of the potato - this is force*time = total change of momentum ?

or am i wrong?

I still don't see how to formulate the linear impulse if I am doing the change of momentum problem correctly.

I don't understand your difficulty. Impulse is the change in momentum. tiny tim was showing you why the two definitions of impulse--namely, the integral of F*dt and mv_f-mv_i--are actually equivalent.

What is linear impulse momentum?

Linear impulse momentum is a physical concept that describes the relationship between an object's mass, velocity, and the force acting on it. It is the product of an object's mass and its change in velocity over a specific period of time.

What is the formula for calculating linear impulse momentum?

The formula for linear impulse momentum is p = mv, where p represents momentum, m represents mass, and v represents velocity.

How is linear impulse momentum related to Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the force acting on an object is equal to the change in momentum over time. Therefore, linear impulse momentum is directly related to this law, as it represents the change in momentum over a specific period of time due to a force.

What are some real-life applications of linear impulse momentum?

Linear impulse momentum is used in various fields, such as sports, engineering, and transportation. In sports, it is used to understand the impact and force of collisions, while in engineering, it is used to design safer structures and predict the effects of impacts. In transportation, it is used to study the dynamics of vehicles and improve safety measures.

How can linear impulse momentum be conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, linear impulse momentum can be conserved, meaning it remains constant, if there is no external force acting on the system. This is known as the Law of Conservation of Momentum, which states that the total momentum of a closed system before and after a collision remains the same.