1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear indepdence

1. Sep 30, 2005 #1
    linear independence

I've been going over my notes and I've found that I'm missing the proof of the following. I might have missed it in class or something but it's not in there(my work book) so can someone help me out with showing the following?

Let A be the matrix whose columns are the vectors v_1, v_2,...,v_k(which are elements of R^n). Reduce to row-echelon form. The k vectors are linearly independent in R^n iff Rank(A) = k.

Hopefully there are no uncertainties as to what the definition of row-echelon form and rank are. The definition I have of rank is the number of non-zero rows of a matrix in row-echelon form.

Ok here's how I'd start off. Write down a linear dependence equation.

[tex]
    \alpha _1 \mathop {v_1 }\limits_{} + \alpha _2 \mathop {v_2 }\limits_{} + ... + \alpha _k \mathop {v_k }\limits_{} = \mathop 0\limits_{}
    [/tex]

The a_i are scalars and the v_i are vectors and the RHS is the zero vector.

By definition of A, the augmented matrix of the equation is:

[tex]
    \left( {\left. {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
    {} \\
    A \\
    {} \\
    \end{array}} \right|\begin{array}{*{20}c}
    0 \\
    \vdots \\
    0 \\
    \end{array}} \right) \approx \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
    {} \\
    B \\
    {} \\
    \end{array}\left| {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
    \cdots \\
    \cdots \\
    \cdots \\
    \end{array}} \right.} \right)
    [/tex]

The above is supposed to mean that B is the row reduced form of A and that the two matrices are row equivalent.

The two matrices have n rows(since the v_i are in R^n) and from how A has been defined. The matrix B has n >= k zeros in the column to the right of the augmentation line.

(1) If rank(A) = k then there are k non-zero rows in B.(the column to the right of the augmentation line contains all zeros)

There are k columns in B(to the left of the augmentation line) corresponding to the k non-zero rows in B.

=> system has unique solution for the a_i.
    => all the a_i = 0 since the column to the right of the augmentation line in B consists of all zeros. So if rank(A) = k then the v_i are linearly indepedent.

(2) If the v_i are linearly independent vectors then the system has the unique solution a_i = 0 for 1 <= i <= k. This implies rank(A) = k.

That's all I've been able to come up with. Any help would be good thanks.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2005
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted