What makes the set {1,x,x^2,...,x^n,...} linearly independent in Q[x]?

In summary: The algebraic way:Since Q[x] is an algebra, every polynomial can be expressed in terms of a linear combination of its coefficients. So, p(x) = a_0 + a_1x + a_2x^2 + \dots + a_nx^n \equiv 0 \text{ iff } a_i = 0\ \forall \ i, p(x) = 0.Since Q[x] is an algebra, every polynomial can be expressed in terms of a linear combination of its coefficients. So, p(x) = a_0 + a_1x + a_2x^2 + \dots +
autre

Homework Statement

Show that the set {1,x,x^2,...,x^n,...} is linearly independent in Q[x].

The Attempt at a Solution

Since an infinite set of vectors is linearly independent if each finite subset is also linearly independent, I think I need to show that every subset of {1,x,x^2,...,x^n,...} is linearly independent. It's easy to show any given subset is linearly indep. but I'm not sure how to show ALL subsets are linearly independent.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
You only need to show that all subsets of the form

[tex]\{1,x,...,x^m\}[/tex]

are linearly independent. Do you see why?? Do you see why it is independent?

For any given subset of Q[x] whose degree is less than or equal to m, we can write an element a = a_0+a_1x+a_2x^2+...+a_mq^m. a = 0 iff for all i, a_i = 0, thus the set {1,x,...,x^m} is linearly independent in Q[x]?

That is OK. I have a few follow up questions though!

autre said:
a = a_0+a_1x+a_2x^2+...+a_mq^m. a = 0 iff for all i, a_i = 0,

Why is this true?? Did you prove it?

thus the set {1,x,...,x^m} is linearly independent in Q[x]?

OK, but why does this imply that each finite subset of [itex]\{1,x,...,x^n,...\}[/itex] is linearly independent?

Why is this true?? Did you prove it?

Well if for some i, a_i=/=0, then a=a_ix^i by def of a in Q[x], right?

OK, but why does this imply that each finite subset of {1,x,...,xn,...} is linearly independent?

Since our choice of a finite subset of {1,x,...,x^n,...} was arbitrary?

autre said:
Well if for some i, a_i=/=0, then a=a_ix^i by def of a in Q[x], right?

Hmm, it's not that easy...

You have to prove for example that

[tex]2x^3-4x^2+6x+9[/tex]

is never constantly 0. Furthermore, you must prove it for all ai.

Since our choice of a finite subset of {1,x,...,x^n,...} was arbitrary?

It was not arbitrary. We chose the subset [itex]\{1,x,...,x^m\}[/itex]. This is indeed sufficient, but why?

It was not arbitrary. We chose the subset {1,x,...,xm}. This is indeed sufficient, but why?

But our choice of m+1 as the degree of the subset was arbitrary. Anyway, since all we need to show is that finite subsets are linearly independent, we have shown that.

autre said:
But our choice of m+1 as the degree of the subset was arbitrary. Anyway, since all we need to show is that finite subsets are linearly independent, we have shown that.

Yes, our choice of m was arbitrary. But we still have not shown it for arbitrary polynomials then!

For example, we also need to show it for the set [itex]\{1,x^2,x^4,x^{14}\}[/itex]. You have not yet considered such a set.

there are two ways of looking at this:

algebraic way:

[tex]p(x) = a_0 + a_1x + a_2x^2 + \dots + a_nx^n \equiv 0 \text{ iff } a_i = 0\ \forall \ i[/tex]

by the definition of equality of polynomials in Q[x].

analytic way:

[tex]p(x) = a_0 + a_1x + a_2x^2 + \dots + a_nx^n \equiv 0 \text{ iff } \forall x, p(x) = 0[/tex]

in one way, "x" is just a formal symbol, it doesn't really stand for anything. in another way, x stands for some value which might be a number of some sort.

1. What does it mean for polynomials to be linearly independent?

Linear independence in Q[x] refers to a set of polynomials in the variable x over the field of rational numbers, where no polynomial in the set can be written as a linear combination of the other polynomials in the set. In other words, there is no non-trivial solution to the equation c1p1(x) + c2p2(x) + ... + cnpn(x) = 0, where c1, c2, ..., cn are constants and p1(x), p2(x), ..., pn(x) are the polynomials in the set.

2. How do you prove linear independence of polynomials in Q[x]?

To prove linear independence, you must show that there is no non-trivial solution to the equation c1p1(x) + c2p2(x) + ... + cnpn(x) = 0. This can be done by setting up a system of equations and solving for the constants c1, c2, ..., cn. If the only solution is when all the constants are equal to 0, then the polynomials are linearly independent.

3. Can a set of only two polynomials be linearly independent in Q[x]?

Yes, a set of two polynomials can be linearly independent in Q[x]. For example, the polynomials 2x and 3x^2 are linearly independent in Q[x] because there is no non-trivial solution to the equation c1(2x) + c2(3x^2) = 0.

4. How is linear independence related to the concept of a basis in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, a basis is a set of vectors that can be used to represent any vector in a given vector space. Similarly, in Q[x], a set of linearly independent polynomials can be used to represent any polynomial in Q[x]. Therefore, linear independence is a crucial concept in defining a basis for a vector space.

5. Is linear independence a necessary condition for a set of polynomials to be a basis in Q[x]?

Yes, linear independence is a necessary condition for a set of polynomials to be a basis in Q[x]. This is because a basis must be a linearly independent set of vectors or polynomials, as they should not be able to be written as a linear combination of each other.