1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear independence problem

1. Oct 17, 2006 #1
    I'm stuck on a question in linear algebra, it reads "Show that the subset S={cos mx, sin nx: m between 0 and infinity, n between 1 and infinity} is linearly independent.

I really just don't know where to start. I've seen a similar question which was just sin (nx) and the lecturer integrated sin(px)sin(qx) between -pi and pi but I just don't see why he did that or anything.

Any starting help would be much appreciated, thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My guess is he showed that sin(px) and sin(qx) are orthogonal if p/=q. If two nonzero vectors are orthogonal then they are linearly independent.
  4. Oct 17, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The definition of "linearly independent", applied here would be that
    [itex]a_0+ a_1cos(x)+ b_1sin(x)+ a_2cos(2x)+ b_2sin(2x)+ ...= 0[/itex] only when each [itex]a_i[/itex] and [itex]b_i[/itex] is 0. What would you get if you multiply that sum by sin(nx) or cos(nx), for all n, and integrate?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?