1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear independence proof

1. Jan 22, 2006 #1
    Hi I just need some help on understanding some general notation in this quesiton:

Prove if {x_1,x_2,..,x_m} is linearly independent then so is {x_1,x_2,...,x_i-1, x_i+1,...,x_m} for every i in {1,2,...,m}.

I don't really understand what the difference between {x_1,x_2,...,x_i-1, x_i+1,...,x_m} for every i in {1,2,...,m} and {x_1,x_2,..,x_m} is.

Any help clarifying this would be great, and any hints for the question would be must appreciated, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2006 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The second set omits the i'th vector.

Eg the large set is {a,b,c,d} and there are 4 other sets: {b,c,d}, {a,c,d}, {a,b,d}, {a,b,c}

4. Jan 23, 2006 #3

TD

Homework Helper

If you understand that, you can easily prove this by contradiction.
    Suppose one of the smaller sets is linearly dependent, then one of its elements is a lineair combination of the others. What does that tell you about the larger set then?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?