1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Independence Question

1. Jul 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let v, x_1, x_2, x_3 be elements in R^4, and suppose that there are distinct real numbers c1, c2, and c3 such that v = c_1*x_1 + c_2*x_2 + c_2*x_2. Prove that x_1, x_2, and x_3 are independent.

3. The attempt at a solution

Let A=[x_1 x_2 x_3]. Then Col(A) = span{x_1, x_2, x_3}. By hypothesis, v belongs to Col(A), and v can be written as a linear combination of the x's with distinct constants that are not all zeros. **If at least one of the columns is a linear combination of the other columns, then v can be written as a linear combination of the other two x's with distinct coefficients. If one of the two coefficients is zero, then v = 0*x_2 + c_3*x_3 = 0*x_1 + 0*x_2 + c_3*x_3, which contradicts the hypothesis. Thus the X's are independent.

Does this actually prove the question? I'm not really familiar with proofs so I'm not sure of what I'm doing following the stars above. Thanks in advance! :)
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Did you state the question properly? Because it looks as though if [itex]x_1, x_2,x_3,v[/itex] only have to satisfy [itex]\vec{v} = c_1\vec{x_1} + c_2\vec{x_2} + c_3\vec{x_3}[/itex], one can easily come up with counterexamples such that [itex]\vec{x_1}, \vec{x_2}, \vec{x_3}[/itex] are linearly dependent. Was some condition omitted?
  4. Jul 11, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As Defennder said, this is not true. As a counterexample, take x_1= <1, 1, 0, 0>, x_2= ,1, 0, 1, 0>, x_3= <2, 1, 1, 0> and v= <4, 2, 2, 0>. Then v= 1*x_1+ 1*x_2+ 1*x_3 but x_1, x_2, and x_3 are clearly not independent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?