1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Independence

1. Jan 12, 2006 #1
    If a,b,c are vectors in an R-vector space then their sums a+b, a+c, b+c are also linearly independent. If R is replaced by Z_2 then this fails, because there's the nontrivial solution to

x(a+b)+y(a+c)+z(b+c)=0

where x=y=z=0 or x=y=z=1

right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2006 #2

benorin

Homework Helper

x(a+b)+y(a+c)+z(b+c)=0 implies that (x+y)a+(x+z)b+(y+z)c=0 so put X=x+y, Y=x+z, and Z=y+z to yield Xa+Yb+Zc=0, which has only the trivial solution as a, b, and c are linearly independent.

I don't get what is meant by Z_2, an integer lattice?

4. Jan 12, 2006 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, the field with two elements, so 1+1=0, so of course (x+y)+(y+z)+(z+x)=0 so the three vectors are linearly dependent irrespective of whether x,y,z are.

5. Jan 12, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As worded this makes no sense!
    "If a,b,c are vectors in an R-vector space then their sums a+b, a+c, b+c are also linearly independent."
    No, that's not true. For example is a= b= c= <1, 0, 0> then a+ b= <2, 0, 0>, a+ c= <2, 0, 0> and b+ c= <2, 0, 0>. Of course, the word "also" in the conclusion indicates that you intended to say:
    "If a,b,c are independent vectors in an R-vector space then their sums a+b, a+c, b+c are also linearly independent." which is true.

Strictly speaking, you can't say just "If R is replaced by Z_2" (the integers modulo 2) since that could not be a vector space- it would be a "module". However, your statement is correct: even if a, b, c are independent if the module over Z_2, then a+b, b+c, and a+c are not independent.

Shear non-sense!: As JasonRox pointed out Z_2 is a field (of characteristic 2) not an integral domain so this really is a vector space!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
  6. Jan 12, 2006 #5

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The statement is true for all fields except for those fields that are of characteristic equal to two.

7. Jan 13, 2006 #6
    Yes, that was I intended to say.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Z_2 and R are both fields as far as I know, and vector spaces are defined over fields.

8. Jan 13, 2006 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, re-read my post. I edited it to admit that I was wrong after JaxonRox pointed it out to me.

9. Jan 13, 2006 #8

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, they are both fields, but that doesn't mean you can just replace R with Z_2 to create another vector space with the same properties.

Maybe the following will show how the "simplest" things change when you change fields.

The dimension for the vector space R over the field R is what?

Now, what is the dimension for the vector space R over the field Q (Rationals)?

Completely different answers.

The statement you said is true for all vector spaces except those who are over fields of characteristic 2. Sure it fails for a particular field, but that doesn't mean the statement isn't true.

10. Jan 13, 2006 #9
    Excellent. Got it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?