1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Independence

1. Apr 16, 2006 #1
    Here's a simple question that I can't seem to get:

"Suppose for some v [tex]T^{m-1}v\neq 0[/tex] and [tex]T^mv=0[/tex]. Prove that [tex](v,Tv,...,T^{m-1}v)[/tex] is linearly independent."

I know that [tex]m\leq \dim V[/tex] and [tex]v,Tv,...,T^{m-1}v[/tex] are all nonzero.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2006 #2
    What happens if [tex]0 = a_1 v + a_2Tv+ ... + a_mT^{m-1}v[/tex]? You want to show that all a_i are 0 and you have two bits of information:
    (1) T is linear
    (2) [tex]T^mv=0[/tex]
    How can you use this to get information about a_1?
    Also, do you know what T(0) is?

4. Apr 16, 2006 #3
    I was just about to post that I got it. T(0) is not used it my proof. Thanks anyway.

5. Apr 17, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If, as I assume, T is a linear transformation then T(0)= 0 and there would be no reason to use it!

6. Apr 17, 2006 #5

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

Well, there is a proof that depends on T(0) (with T a square matrix). If you left-multiply by T enough times you will get a1T^(m-1)v = 0 showing that a1 = 0. Then from that, if you left-multiply one fewer time you can get a2 = 0, and so on.

7. Apr 17, 2006 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How does that utilize T(0), which is 0 since T is a linear map? And T is necessariyl square if we are forced to pick a basis (which we should never do unless we have to; it is a crutch to understanding) since T is in End(V) (as is contextually clear; we cannot apply T to Tv otherwise).

Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
  8. Apr 17, 2006 #7

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

Well, every time you multiply you have to say on the left T(0) = 0 = (rest of expression).

9. Apr 17, 2006 #8

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ah, I see what you're saying. But since T is a linear map I wouldn't have even mentioned this explicitly, which is probably what is puzzling me (and HallsOf Ivy): why (did Euclid) even mention this?

10. Apr 17, 2006 #9
    I only mentioned it because I wasn't sure if it was a well-known fact to Treadstone. The proof I was thinking of would have involved applying T repeatedly to both sides of that equation above. If you weren't aware that T(0)=0, then you might not have noticed this proof.

11. Apr 17, 2006 #10

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hopefully it is a well known fact to everyone (who knows what a linear map is), since it is part of the defining charactistic of being linear. Of course I've always been too idealistic about things like that.

12. Apr 17, 2006 #11
    You'd be surprised. I was a TA for linear algebra, and I was shocked by how many students (at the end of the term) still didn't know basic facts about linear maps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?