1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Independence

1. Feb 24, 2009 #1
    I attempted the proof but I don't know how to complete it..

Let u,v,w be linearly independent vectors and x is in <u,v,w>. Then there are unique a,b,y such that x=au+bv+yw

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2009 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Great, let's see what you've done.

4. Feb 24, 2009 #3
    I'm having trouble starting it...if u could help me start it..then i can try to carry it from there

5. Feb 24, 2009 #4
    Look at the definition of <u,v,w>. What does it mean for x to be in <u,v,w>, spelled out in terms of the definition?
    For the uniqueness part, start by assuming that you can write x=au+bv+cw and x=du+ev+fw, then prove that a=d, b=e, c=f.

6. Feb 24, 2009 #5
    ok...so if i start the proof by saying if x is in <u,v,w> then there exists d,e,f such that x=du+ev+fw and then if i take the difference, say: (a-d)u+(b-e)v+(c-f)w...would that be right approach?

7. Feb 24, 2009 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

By definition, if x is in Span(u, v, w), then there are scalars a, b, and c such that x = au + bv + cw. (I changed letters on you, here.

You want to show that this representation is unique, so one way to do this is to assume the contrary--that the representation is not unique, meaning that there is at least one other way to represent x, say, as du + ev + fw.

Work with these two representations, and you should get a contradiction, which means that your assumption that the representation was not unique must have been incorrect, which gets you back to the representation being unique.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook