Prove Linear Independence: Every Non-Empty Subset

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that every non-empty subset of a linear independent set is also linear independent. The conversation delves into using the concept of contradiction to prove this statement and clarifies the definitions of independence and linear combinations.
annoymage

Homework Statement

If a set is linear independent, proove that every of its non empty subset is linear independent.
i'm sorry, but I'm not sure is my sentence correct or not,

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

let {v1,v2,v3,...,vn} be linear independent set.

so a1v1+a2v2+a3v3+,...,+anvn=0, and ai=0 , i= 1,2,3,...,n

let mv1+nv2=0, i can't even prove m=n=0, so help me start proving that first T_T

Physics news on Phys.org
Prove it by contradiction.

Suppose there exist some subset, [itex]\{v_i| i\in A\}[/itex] for A some subset of {1, 2, ..., n} that is NOT independent. That means we can find [itex]\sum a_iv_i= 0[/itex] with every [itex]v_i[/itex] from this subset, not all [itex]a_i[/itex] equal to 0.

Now, do you see how that immediately contradicts the fact that the entire set is independent?

yeaaa i can see i clearly, but I am not sure how to convert those word to mathematical form
hmm but i remembered 1 theorem said, they are linear independent iff exist 1 vector of them can be written as linear combination of other. ngaha, my language are so terrible, nevertheless,

Suppose there exist some subset, [itex]\{v_i| i\in A\}[/itex] for A some subset of {1, 2, ..., n} that is NOT independent that means we can find vm in the set such that

vm=a1v1+,...,+am-1vm-1,am+1vm+1+,...+anvn
0=a1v1,...,am-1vm-1+vm+am+1vm+1,...anvn

contradiction

conclusion ¬(my assumption)
this library computer so slow, i hope you can understand it, anyway, it's correct right?

Last edited:
annoymage said:
yeaaa i can see i clearly, but I am not sure how to convert those word to mathematical form
hmm but i remembered 1 theorem said, they are linear independent iff exist 1 vector of them can be written as linear combination of other. ngaha, my language are so terrible, nevertheless,

Suppose there exist some subset, [itex]\{v_i| i\in A\}[/itex] for A some subset of {1, 2, ..., n} that is NOT independent that means we can find vm in the set such that

vm=a1v1+,...,+am-1vm-1,am+1vm+1+,...+anvn
0=a1v1,...,am-1vm-1+vm+am+1vm+1,...anvn

contradiction

conclusion ¬(my assumption)
this library computer so slow, i hope you can understand it, anyway, it's correct right?
Well, I guess my question then is "what definition of "independent" are you using?"

You seem to be using "you cannot write one vector in terms of the other" for the subset and "if a linear combination is 0, then the coefficients must be 0" for the entire set. Use the same thing for both.

Suppose there exist a subset, [itex]\{v_i, v_j, ..., v_k\}[/itex] of the independent set \(\displaystyle \{v_1, v_2, ..., v_n\}\) where {i, j, ..., k} is a subset of {1, 2, ..., n} (make sure your notation does not imply that the vectors in the subset were any particular vectors in the original set, like "the first m vectors") that is not independent. Then there exist scalars [itex]a_i, a_j, ..., a_k[/itex], not all 0, such that [itex]a_iv_i+ a_jv_j+ ...+ a_kv_k= 0[/itex]. But then we have [itex]b_1v_1+ b_2v_2+ ...+ b_nv_n= 0[/itex] with [itex]b_m= 0[/itex] if m is not in {i, j, ..., k} and [itex]b_m= a_m[/itex] if it is. That is a linear combination of [itex]\{v_1, v_2, ..., v_n\}[/itex] equal to 0 with not all coefficients equal to 0.

yea, sorry, i did very big mistake there,

but thanks anyway

1. What does it mean for a subset to be linearly independent?

Linear independence means that none of the vectors in the subset can be written as a linear combination of the other vectors in the subset. In other words, the subset does not contain any redundant or unnecessary vectors.

2. Why is it important to prove linear independence?

Proving linear independence is important because it helps us determine the minimum number of vectors needed to span a vector space. It also allows us to simplify problems and make calculations easier.

3. How do you prove linear independence?

To prove linear independence, we set up a system of equations where each equation represents a linear combination of the vectors in the subset. Then, we solve the system and check if the only solution is when all coefficients are equal to 0. If this is the case, then the subset is linearly independent.

4. What is the relationship between linear independence and linear dependence?

The opposite of linear independence is linear dependence, which means that at least one vector in the subset can be written as a linear combination of the other vectors in the subset. In other words, the subset contains redundant or unnecessary vectors.

5. Can a subset be both linearly independent and linearly dependent?

No, a subset cannot be both linearly independent and linearly dependent. It is either one or the other. However, a larger set can contain both linearly independent and linearly dependent subsets.