Show W Belongs to Span of {X, Y, Z}: Linear Independence Homework

In summary, if {X, Y, Z} are linearly independent in Rn and {X, Y, Z, W} are linearly dependent, there exists a non-trivial solution for W in the equation aW + bX + cY + dZ = 0. To show that W belongs to the span of {X, Y, Z}, it must be demonstrated that a = 0 is not a possibility, thus proving that W can be expressed as a linear combination of X, Y, and Z.
theRukus

Homework Statement

Let {X, Y, Z} be linearly independent in Rn. If {X, Y, Z, W} is linearly dependent, show that W [tex]\epsilon[/tex] span{X, Y, Z}. NB: You must SHOW this.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For W to belong to the span of {X,Y,Z}, W = aX + bY + cZ where a, b, c are some real numbers. Since {X,Y,Z,W} is linearly dependent, one of the four vectors can be shown as a linear combination of the other three, ie. W = aX + bY + cZ, where a, b, c are some real numbers.

On my assignment, I have the previous statement, and I've also represented X, Y, Z, and W with {x1, x2, x..., xn}, etc. I've taken these equations and multiplied the real numbers in.

I know what I'm trying to say here, but I don't exactly know how to say it, if you know what I mean. Is my explanation enough? Does it SHOW that W belongs to the span of {X, Y, Z}?

Thanks,

Connor Bode

Physics news on Phys.org
theRukus said:
Since {X,Y,Z,W} is linearly dependent, one of the four vectors can be shown as a linear combination of the other three, ie. W = aX + bY + cZ, where a, b, c are some real numbers.

Yes, at least one of the vectors can be expressed as a linear combination of the other three, but you haven't demonstrated that W is one of the vectors that can be so expressed.

What you can say is that there exist real numbers [itex]a,b,c,d[/itex] (at least one of them nonzero) such that

[tex]aW + bX + cY + dZ = 0[/tex]

To proceed from here, examine whether [itex]a = 0[/itex] is a possibility, given that [itex]X[/itex], [itex]Y[/itex], and [itex]Z[/itex] are linearly independent. If you can exclude that possibility, then rearrange the equation to the desired form.

This is one of those proofs where you're trying to show something "obvious," so it's kind of hard to identify exactly what you need to show. So what you have is {X, Y, Z} are linearly independent. This means aX+bY+cZ=0 has only the trivial solution a=b=c=0. The fact that {X, Y, Z, W} are linearly dependent means that eX+fY+gZ+hW=0 has a non-trivial solution. You need to get from that statement to W=qX+rY+sZ. Think about the coefficients and when they can or can not be 0.

1. What does it mean for a show W to belong to the span of {X, Y, Z}?

For a show W to belong to the span of {X, Y, Z}, it means that every element in W can be expressed as a linear combination of the elements in {X, Y, Z}. In other words, W can be created by combining X, Y, and Z in different proportions.

2. How do you determine if a show W belongs to the span of {X, Y, Z}?

To determine if a show W belongs to the span of {X, Y, Z}, you can use the linear independence test. This involves setting up a system of equations using the elements in {X, Y, Z} and solving for the coefficients of the linear combination that creates W. If a solution exists, then W belongs to the span of {X, Y, Z}.

3. What is the importance of linear independence in determining if a show W belongs to the span of {X, Y, Z}?

Linear independence is important because it ensures that the elements in {X, Y, Z} are not redundant or unnecessary in creating W. It also guarantees that there is only one way to create W using the elements in {X, Y, Z} and therefore, W can be uniquely expressed as a linear combination of these elements.

4. Can a show W belong to the span of {X, Y, Z} if the elements in {X, Y, Z} are not linearly independent?

No, if the elements in {X, Y, Z} are not linearly independent, then a show W cannot belong to their span. This is because there would be more than one way to create W using these elements, and therefore, W cannot be uniquely expressed as a linear combination of them.

5. How can understanding the concept of span and linear independence be useful in real-world applications?

The concept of span and linear independence is useful in many areas of science, such as engineering, physics, and economics. It allows us to understand the relationships between different variables and how they can be manipulated or combined to create new outcomes. This understanding is crucial in problem-solving and decision-making processes.