1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear independence

1. May 15, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Assume vectors ##a,b,c\in V_{\mathbb{R}}## to be linearly independent. Determine whether vectors ##a+b , b+c , a+c## are linearly independent.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    We say the vectors are linearly independent when ##k_1a + k_2b +k_3c = 0## only when every ##k_n = 0## - the only solution is a trivial combination.
    Does there exist a non-trivial combination such that
    ##k_1(a+b) + k_2(b+c) + k_3(a+c) = 0##?. Distributing:
    ##k_1a + k_1b + k_2b + k_2c + k_3a + k_3c = (k_1 + k_3)a + (k_1+k_2)b + (k_2+k_3)c = 0## Since ##a,b,c## are linearly independent, the only way this result can occur is when:
    ##k_1+k_3 =0\Rightarrow k_1 = -k_3##
    ##k_1+k_2 =0##
    ##k_2+k_3 =0##

Substituting eq 1 into eq 2 we arrive at ##k_2 - k_3 = 0## and according to eq 3 ##k_2 + k_3=0##, which means ##k_2 - k_3 = k_2 + k_3##, therefore ##k_3 = 0##, because ##k=-k## only if ##k=0##. The only solution is a trivial combination, therefore the vectors ##a+b, b+c, a+c## are linearly independent.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

That works for me. (IOW, I agree that the three new vectors are linearly independent.)

Instead of working with the system of equations, you can set up a matrix and row reduce it. If you end up with the identity matrix, what that says is that ##k_1 = k_2 = k_3 = 0##, and that there are no other solutions.

The matrix looks like this, from your system:
    $$\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 1\end{bmatrix}$$
    After a few row operations, the final matrix is I3.

4. May 15, 2015 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Alternatively, you can compute the determinant of the matrix to find that it is nonzero. What would that tell you?

5. May 15, 2015 #4
    Oh. Cramer's rule.
    ##k_n = \frac{D_{k_n}}{D}## and since the determinant of the system is non zero, the corresponding determinants for every ##k_n## would be 0 (a full column of 0-s means det = 0) and therefore ##k_1 = k_2 = k_3 = 0##

6. May 15, 2015 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, I was not referring to Cramer's rule (which is rarely actually used when solving equations). I was referring to the theorem that if det(A) ≠ 0 then the n ×n system Ak = 0 has k = 0 as its only solution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted