Linear independent or dependent

In summary, the given pair of functions, y1=3t and y2=|t|, are linearly independent. This can be shown through various methods such as noticing that one is even and one is odd, using the Wronskian to show they are dependent on different intervals, or setting up a linear system and solving for the constants.
physicsss
Given y1=3t, y2=|t|, determine whether the given pair of functions is linearly independent or linearly dependent.

I can't do the Wronskian on this one since y2 is not differentiable at 0, is there any other way to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
physicsss said:
Given y1=3t, y2=|t|, determine whether the given pair of functions is linearly independent or linearly dependent.

I can't do the Wronskian on this one since y2 is not differentiable at 0, is there any other way to do this?
It is easy to see that they are linearly independent, as one is even and one is odd (I presume you mean for all real numbers).
A similar approch would be to notice (ie with wronskian) that they are dependent on (-infinity,0] and [0,infinity) then show that sets of coefficients that make them linearly dependent in each region have nothing in common.
A third way is show that if
u*y1+y2=0
u is not constant
All three of these are basically the same.
say
f(x)=f(-x)
g(x)=-g(-x)
if
a f(x)+b g(x)=0
then
a f(-x)+b g(x)=0
so
a f(x)-b g(x)=0
thus
a f(x)=0
b g(x)=0
This holds for all x
f(x),g(x) cannot be zero every where
thus a=b=0 and f and g are linearly independent

Last edited:
In the book, they did something the likes of:
suppose k1 and k2 are two constants, and k1(3t)+k2(|t|)=0, then choose two points t0 and t1 where t1 is not equal to t0, if the determinant of the coefficients is not zero than the two functions are independent.

but when I did it out, they are zero for t>1 and t<1. I'm confused, I guess, since I don't understand why the determinant thing is true...

(See the picture for what I did)

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    5.5 KB · Views: 655
Last edited:
physicsss said:
In the book, they did something the likes of:
suppose k1 and k2 are two constants, and k1(3t)+k2(|t|)=0, then choose two points t0 and t1 where t1 is not equal to t0, if the determinant of the coefficients is not zero than the two functions are independent.

but when I did it out, they are zero for t>1 and t<1. I'm confused, I guess, since I don't understand why the determinant thing is true...

(See the picture for what I did)
A fourth way.
The determinant tell us if the linear system
3k1*t0+k2*|t0|=0
3k1*t1+k2*|t1|=0
has a unique solution
we know k1=k2=0 is a solution
If the determinat is zero every where the system is linearly dependent.
If the determinat is ever nonzero the system is linearly independent.
you found
3(t0|t1|-t1|t0|)=3|t0|*|t1|(sign(t0)-sign(t1))
so the determinant will be nonzero if t0*t1<0
for example if t0=3 t1=-7
the determinant is 42
so linearly independant
I find this method a bit odd for this problem.
It was probably used because it is more general.
Did you like my suggestions?
In particular if
u*y1+y2=0
3u*t+|t|=0
u=-1/3 t<0
u=1/3 t>0
Hence
Linearly independent

W=det(3t abs(t); 3 abs(t)/t) =

3*t*abs(1,t)-3*abs(t) != 0

lurflurf said:
In particular if
u*y1+y2=0
3u*t+|t|=0
u=-1/3 t<0
u=1/3 t>0
Hence
Linearly independent

Can you tell me how that makes it linearly independent because I don't quite get it...

cronxeh said:
W=det(3t abs(t); 3 abs(t)/t) =

3*t*abs(1,t)-3*abs(t) != 0

what does abs(1,t) mean? And can't you cancel out the t's when you do 3*t*|t|/t?

physicsss said:
Can you tell me how that makes it linearly independent because I don't quite get it...
Things are simpler since n=2
we want to study
a y1+b y2=0
3at+b|t|=0
A nice way to see this is to consider (-infinity,0] and [0,infinity)
(-infinity,0]
3at+b|t|=0
3at-bt=0
(3a-b)t=0
(3a-b)=0
[0,infinity)
3at+b|t|=0
3at+bt=0
(3a+b)t=0
(3a+b)=0
so if this holds for the whole real line we have a system
3a-b=0
3a+b=0
This can only be true if a=b=0
Linearly independent
Another view if they were dependent
3at+b|t|=0
b is not zero (if it were a would need to be since t is not always 0)
(1/b)(3at+b|t|)=0
3(a/b)t+|t|=0
call a/b u and let it depend on t
3ut+|t|=0
solve for u
u=-sign(t)/3
u is clearly not constant so they must be linearly independent.
Also check out the above deal where an even function and an odd function must be linearly independent.

1. What is the definition of linear independence?

Linear independence refers to a set of vectors in a vector space that cannot be represented as a linear combination of other vectors in the same space. In simpler terms, it means that none of the vectors in the set can be written as a multiple of another vector in the set.

2. How can I determine if a set of vectors is linearly independent?

To determine if a set of vectors is linearly independent, you can use the linear independence test. This test involves setting up a system of equations with the vectors as the coefficients and solving for the variables. If the only solution is the trivial solution (all variables equal to 0), then the vectors are linearly independent. If there are other non-trivial solutions, then the vectors are linearly dependent.

3. What is the difference between linear independence and linear dependence?

The main difference between linear independence and linear dependence is that linearly independent vectors cannot be written as a linear combination of each other, while linearly dependent vectors can. In other words, linear independence means that the vectors are unique and cannot be generated by a combination of other vectors, while linear dependence means that the vectors are not unique and can be generated by a combination of other vectors.

4. Are there any real-world applications of linear independence?

Yes, linear independence has many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, in physics, linear independence is used to determine the forces acting on an object in motion. In engineering, it is used to design structures that can withstand different types of forces. In computer science, it is used in algorithms for data compression and machine learning.

5. Can a set of three or more vectors be both linearly independent and dependent?

No, a set of three or more vectors cannot be both linearly independent and dependent. This is because if a set of vectors is linearly dependent, it means that one or more vectors can be written as a linear combination of the others. Therefore, adding more vectors to the set would only increase the number of possible linear combinations, making it impossible for the set to be linearly independent.