1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Intercepts (lol) / Completing The Square

1. May 9, 2006 #1
    A couple more i'm having problems with.

First with linear intercepts.

Find the y-intercept of a line going through (3, 0) and having a slope of -5

m = -5

And from then on, I don't know how to continue with this problem.

Now, completing the square.

Solve: Solve: 4x^2 - x - 5 = 0

4x^2 – x = 5

x^2 - 1/4x = 5/4

-1/4 --> 1/16

x^2 - 1/2x + 1/16 = 5/4 + 1/16

(x-1/4)^2 = 21/16

Solve for x now right? Well i think i already messed up in one of my earlier steps. I need help.

Thanks for any help...
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Do you know what b means in y = mx +b?? (hint: that's what you are looking for)

Check again your work for completing the square.
    Last edited: May 9, 2006
  4. May 9, 2006 #3
    b is the value of the y-intercept.
  5. May 9, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

The y-intercept is the value y assumes when x = 0. This is when the line cuts through the y-axis. In the equation y = mx + b, what does y equal when x = 0 ?

You're given a point on the line which is essentially the y-value for a specific x-value. You also know the slope (m). Now put those back in and work out b.
    It's OK up to this step : x^2 - 1/4x = 5/4

In completing the square, you are basically comparing the left hand side (LHS) to (x-c)^2 = x^2 - 2cx + c^2.

Now compare the coefficient of the x term in that expansion to your own LHS and find out the value of c. The square of that expression then bears a remarkable resemblance to your original equation, and all you need to do is add constants to make it identical, then you can solve it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?