Linear Interpolation to Find Z Value in Quadrilateral

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenge of determining the value of a specific point within a quadrilateral. The quadrilateral is described as having four points with known X and Y coordinates and an unknown Z value. The speaker suggests using linear interpolation to find the value at the desired point, mentioning the need for a technique that takes into account the shape of the surface. The importance of known values and interpolation is also emphasized.
Cummings
I have a problem where I need to work out a value of a specific point that lies in the quadrilateral that is formed by four separate points.

For each point that makes up the quadrilateral, I know the X and Y coordinates and their value, Z. For the point I am trying to find the value for, I only know the X and Y coordinates.

I want to use linear interpolation to determine the value at that point, yet am not sure of the best mathematical technique to do it. For simplicity, I can assume that the quadrilateral is, for lack of a better term, 'squareish' - no inner angle is more than 180 degrees. The four points are also given in clockwise order.

I have thought about using some simple line equations to do this, where I take the point and find the equation of the line that passes through one of the quadrilateral points. I then find the equations of the lines that form the quadrilateral and find the point where the original line intersects with one of the quadrilateral lines. I can interpolate the value at this point and then use that interpolated value to interpolate the value at the point I need.

Would this technique work or is there a better one. The most important aspect is that if the point lies on a known value, it takes that value. For all other points, it needs to be interpolated.

I appreciate your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
As I understand it, there is a surface in three dimensional spaces which contains the quadrilateral. The crucial point are not the angles, but the shape of the surface. In case it is flat you can simply calculate the plane equation and evaluate it at the given inner point. In any other case the surface could be quite arbitrary and additional information is needed about how the ##z-##values are distributed.

1. What is linear interpolation in the context of finding Z value in a quadrilateral?

Linear interpolation is a method used to estimate a missing data point between two known data points. In the context of finding Z value in a quadrilateral, it is used to estimate the Z value at a point within the quadrilateral based on the known Z values at the four corners of the quadrilateral.

2. How is linear interpolation used to find Z value in a quadrilateral?

In order to find the Z value at a point within a quadrilateral using linear interpolation, the known Z values at the four corners of the quadrilateral are used to create a linear equation. The coordinates of the point within the quadrilateral are then substituted into this equation to solve for the estimated Z value.

3. What is the importance of finding Z value in a quadrilateral using linear interpolation?

Finding the Z value at a point within a quadrilateral using linear interpolation is important in various fields such as computer graphics, geology, and surveying. It allows for more accurate and precise estimation of data points, which can be used for creating detailed maps, visualizations, and models.

4. What are the limitations of using linear interpolation to find Z value in a quadrilateral?

Linear interpolation assumes that the data points are evenly distributed and that there is a linear relationship between the known data points. This method may not be accurate if the data points are not evenly distributed or if there is a non-linear relationship between the known data points.

5. Are there any alternative methods to find Z value in a quadrilateral?

Yes, there are alternative methods such as bilinear interpolation, which takes into account the diagonal values of the quadrilateral, and cubic interpolation, which uses a cubic equation to estimate the Z value. However, linear interpolation is often preferred for its simplicity and ease of implementation.