1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Kinematics problem

1. Oct 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two cars are at the start lines of two roads at right angles to each other and pointing to the intersection 500 metres away. Car A starts from rest with uniform accelereation of 0.5m/s2 and accelerates for 20 seconds. It then continues at the speed reached. Car B starts 5 seconds later and 20 metres further away with an acceleration of 0.7m/s2.
    Calculate wrt the start time of Car A:

a) Time taken for B and A to be the same distance from the cross-road.

b) The distance from the cross roads at the above time

c) The average velocity of Car A at this distance.

2. Relevant equations

v=u+at
    v2=u2+2as

3. The attempt at a solution

First i used v=u+at and plugged the results into a table showing velocity against time for car A and B, for upto 60 seconds at ten second intervals.
    Then i transposed the second equation for s to work out the distance s=v2-u2[tex]/2a[/tex] for car a and s=(v2-u2[tex]/2a[/tex])-20 for car B.
    This was then plugged into a second table showing distance against time.
    From this table it was deduced that the area of interest was between 50 and 60 seconds.
    I carried on with this process until i narrowed it down.
    The answer i got for a) was 57.67 seconds.
    b) was just working the time back through the previous equations which gave 23.3m (500-476.7).
    c) i calculated change in distance over change in time: 476.7/57.67 = 8.267m/s2

However, this was time consuming and i am wondering if there was a simpler way to tackle this(if indeed the above solution is correct!), possibly as a simultaneous equation?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2009 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Rest assured that you don't need to use tables for any physics problem. When the two cars are at the same distance from the cross-road, two things are the same for both cars: distance travelled and time taken. Which equation relates distance, acceleration, and time? Start there.

4. Oct 14, 2009 #3

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Your method looks pretty good. I did it a different way and got a different answer! Kind of complicated and easy to make a little mistake, which I have a habit of doing.
    For car A I did the first 20 seconds as v = at = .5*20 = 10
    d = .5*a*t^2 = 100 m
    Then for times larger than 20 we have d = 100 + vt = 100+10(t-20)

For car B, d = do + vi*t + .5*a*t^2
    d = -20 +.5*.7*(t-5)^2

for (a) I set the two distance equations equal, collected like terms and got this quadratic: .35*t^2 - 13.5*t + 88.75 = 0
    It has two solutions, one less than 20 so no good, and t = 30.17 s
    I checked the distances at that time and they are equal (if my equations are correct!).

5. Oct 14, 2009 #4
    Car B starts 20 m further away. That's why i went the table route.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook