1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Law: I'm confused.

1. Aug 24, 2010 #1
    Okay, I was doing some questions concerning linear law when I came across a question that asked me to convert a cubic equation into a 'linear equation' so that I can draw it on a graph.

Cubic Equation:

p(x+y-q) = qx3

Then, I convert the above equation into:

y/x2 = (q/p)x

However, when I tried plotting the graph. Letting y/x2 to be the y-axis and x to be the x-axis, I got a curve, instead of a line!

What's wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2010 #2
    But then your y-axis is dependent on your x-axis, that's VERY odd.

The procedure you have to go through is probably more like the following:

Say y = e^x and we want to represent is linearly, what do we do? Well we know that to get x downstairs, we can use the ln function: ln(y) = x

Now we draw a regular y' = x and on the y'-axis we write y' = ln(y)

So it basically comes down to: changing your variables! I've just done an example where I replaced y, but I think I'd replace x in your example, so that you have to write on the x'-axis: x' = f(x); what is f?

4. Aug 24, 2010 #3
    ???

The answer given to me is:

x+y = (q/p)x3 + q

Letting x+y to be the y-axis and x3 to be the x-axis, I indeed got a straight line graph...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook