Linear-Log Plot

• Thread starter jimmy1
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

What is meant by a linear-log plot and why is it used?

In the book I have, the author is demonstrating that some data fits an exponential distribution. So what he does is a linear-log plot of both the exponential distribution and the empirical data, and then overlaps the 2 graphs so show they follow a similar path.

So my question is, what exactly is a linear-log plot, and when/why do you use it?
For exmaple, if I was to show the data fitted an exponential distribution, I would just plot the data and exponetial distribution as they were, and overlap them and show they fit (or don't fit).

Answers and Replies

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
If you have data that happens to lie close to a curve of the form y= A log(x)+ B, (conversely, [itex]x= e^{\frac{y-B}{A}[/itex]) then Plotting y against "X= log(x)" rather than x itself puts the points close to the straight line y= AX+ B. Yes, you could overlap your raw data and an exponential (if you were sure of the constants involved) and show that they matched but it is typically much easier to spot a straight line than more complex curves and there are standard formulae for the "best fit" line.