1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear-Log Plot

1. Feb 7, 2007 #1
    What is meant by a linear-log plot and why is it used?

In the book I have, the author is demonstrating that some data fits an exponential distribution. So what he does is a linear-log plot of both the exponential distribution and the empirical data, and then overlaps the 2 graphs so show they follow a similar path.

So my question is, what exactly is a linear-log plot, and when/why do you use it?
    For exmaple, if I was to show the data fitted an exponential distribution, I would just plot the data and exponetial distribution as they were, and overlap them and show they fit (or don't fit).

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you have data that happens to lie close to a curve of the form y= A log(x)+ B, (conversely, [itex]x= e^{\frac{y-B}{A}[/itex]) then Plotting y against "X= log(x)" rather than x itself puts the points close to the straight line y= AX+ B. Yes, you could overlap your raw data and an exponential (if you were sure of the constants involved) and show that they matched but it is typically much easier to spot a straight line than more complex curves and there are standard formulae for the "best fit" line.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?