Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear map is isomorphic

1. Oct 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let V={a cosx + b sinx | a,b [tex]\in[/tex] R}

(a) Show that V is a subspace of the R-vector space of all maps from R to R.

(b) Show that V is isomorphic to R^2, under the map
    f: V[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]R^2
    a cosx + b sinx [tex]\rightleftharpoons[/tex] [ a over b ] (this is supposed to be a matrix with a above and b below, couldn't find it in the Latex reference)

3. The attempt at a solution

I have done part (a) okay so it's just part (b) I need a hand with. So I know V is isomorphic to R^2 if the map f is linear and the dimV = dim R^2.

I think I sort of showed that the dimensions are equal by taking a basis of {0 , cosx + sinx}. Is that basis okay? And am I right in thinking that because that has two elements dimV=2 and obviously dimR^2= 2 yeah?

So assuming that all that's ok so far I'm kind of stuck showing that it's linear. The properties of a linear map are f(u+v)=f(u)+f(v) and f(av)= af(v) where u,v[tex]\in[/tex]V and a[tex]\in[/tex] R. I'm trying to show those properties are true at the minute but having some difficulty. Am I on the right track at least?

thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2010 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How do you construct sinx from the set {0, cosx + sinx}?

Also any set containing zero is not linearly independent since 1*0=0 so there is a non-trivial linear combination which gives zero.

4. Oct 25, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

No, it is NOT okay. A basis never includes the 0 vector. Try {cos x, sin x} instead.
    "\begin{bmatrix} a \\ b\end{bmatrix}" gives
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix} a \\ b\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

If u= a cos(x)+ b sin(x) and v= c cos(x)+ d sin(x), what is u+ v?

[tex]f(u)= \begin{bmatrix}a \\ b\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    and
    [tex]f(v)= \begin{bmatrix}c \\ d \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

what is f(u+ v)?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2010
  5. Oct 25, 2010 #4
    Thanks for that. Looking back on it the basis I picked is obviously not a basis I just wasn't thinking. Spelling out for me what f(u) equals really helped. When I came back to it I solved it in about 10mins!

Thanks again! :)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook