1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Map Question

1. Sep 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that V and W are finite dimensional and that U is a subspace of V. Prove that there exists [tex]T \in L(V,W)[/tex] such that null T = U if and only if [tex]dim U \geq dim V - dim W.[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    thm: If [tex]T \in L(V,W)[/tex], then range T is a subspace of W.

thm: If V is a finite dimensional vector space and [tex]T \in L(V,W)[/tex] then range T is a finite-dimensional subspace of W and dim V = dim null T + dim range T.

3. The attempt at a solution
    forward direction: by thm, range T is a subspace of W implies that
    [tex]dim range T \leq dim range W[/tex].

by thm, dim V = dim null T + dim range T
    dim V = dim U + dim range T (since U = null T)
    dim V - dim range T = dim U

[tex]dim V - dim W \leq dim U[/tex] since [tex]dim range T \leq dim range W[/tex].

i think the forward direction is good. comments?

backward direction:
    we have [tex]dim V - dim W \leq dim U[/tex]. Let [tex](u_{1},...,u_{n})[/tex] be a basis for U. extend this to a basis for V: [tex](u_{1},...,u_{n},u_{n+1},...u_{m})[/tex]. then dim U = n, and dim V = m. Then any [tex]v \in V[/tex] can be written as [tex]a_{1}u_{1}+...+a_{m}u_{m}[/tex].

I think i'm in the right direction but i'm confused as to what to do. since we have dim V - dim W is less than dim U, i want to say that dim W is greater than or equal to m, but i don't know how to define T so that null T = U. If i make all of the T(u_i} in the basis 0, then null T = U, but how does that relate to the relation of [tex]dim V - dim W \leq dim U[/tex]?

thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, thatis correct. I had to stop and think about it for a moment. Since range T is a subset of W, dim Range T[itex]\le[/itex] dim W. Therefore, -dim Range T[itex]\ge[/itex] -dim W, therefore dim V- dim W[itex]\le[/itex]dimV- dim Range T= dim U.

Think about what you want to prove: if dim V- dim W[itex]\le[/itex] dim U, then there exists a linear transformation T such that null T= U. dim V- dim W[itex]\le[/itex] dim U means dim V- dim U[itex]\le[/itex] dim W. Choose a basis for U, extend it to a basis for V. Now, define T so that Tu= 0 for any basis vector of U. Tv, for v a basis vector for v not in the basis for U, can be anything in W.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?