1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear map w/ matrix

1. Feb 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the map L from the space of 2x2-matrices to R given by:

L([a b]) = a+ d
    ([c d])

For clarity, thats L(2x2 matrix) = a + d

3. The attempt at a solution

Im confused how any function of a matrix could possibly equal addition of two scalars, and thus have no idea where to begin.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What's the entire problem? Your problem statement is incomplete.

4. Feb 3, 2010 #3

Mark44

To answer your question, this transformation takes a 2x2 matrix as input, and produces a single number as output. It takes the entries in the upper left and lower right corner and produces their sum as its output.

5. Feb 3, 2010 #4
    Sorry not sure how I missed that. The question is "Is L a linear map?"

I think I MAY have it now. I need to show linearity by proving L(a+b+c+d)=L(a) + L(b) + L(c) + L(d)

So, L(a+b+c+d) = a 2x2 matrix where each corner is (a + b + c + d)

L(a) is a 2x2 matrix w/ each corner containing a, L(b) is a 2x2 matrix w/ each corner containing b, and same thing for L(c) and L(d). These two things do in fact equal eachother, so its a linear map.

6. Feb 3, 2010 #5

Mark44

I agree that L is linear, but not the way you did it.

What you wrote "So, L(a+b+c+d) = a 2x2 matrix where each corner is (a + b + c + d)
    " doesn't make any sense. a, b, c, and d are real numbers, the entries in a 2x2 matrix. a + b + c + d is a single real number. The domain of L is not real numbers.
    So L(a + b + c + d) doesn't make any sense, nor is L(whatever) = a 2x2 matrix. L(whatever) is a number.

Also, how can each corner be (a + b + c + d)?

What you want to do is something like this:
    Let A and B be 2x2 matrices.
    Now show that L(A + B) = L(A) + L(B).
    The use of cap letters for matrices prevents confusion with a and b that represent entries in a matrix.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook