Solving Unintuitive Homework: An Example of C ≠ f^(-1)(f(c))

In summary, the conversation is discussing a homework problem where the statement C = f^(-1)(f(c)) is not always true. The individuals are considering a specific example using sets and discussing the concept of mapping elements from one set to another. They also mention considering differentiability, but ultimately determine that a simple example is sufficient for the problem.
Kosh11

Homework Statement

741xH.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to start a proof for this. Intuitively I would think think that C = f^(-1)(f(c)), which would imply that C is a subset of f^(-1)(f(c)), however that is not the case and the problem asks for an example when that is not true. Does this mean that f(C) sends all elements c of C from A to B and that f^(-1) sends all elements c of C from B to A?

Physics news on Phys.org
its good to start with small discrete sets and see if you can find a good example

how about considering A = {a,b} both mapped to the same point f(a) = f(b) = d

Thanks I kind of figured it out. One questions would a differentiable map be considered an example where if you have f(a) = d then then f^(-1)(f(a)) wouldn't necessarily equal a?

I'm not sure why you would need to consider differntiability? You;re just looking at maps between sets

the example I gave in post #2 should be sufficient...

1. What is the purpose of solving unintuitive homework?

The purpose of solving unintuitive homework is to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also helps students to understand complex concepts and apply them in different scenarios.

2. What does C ≠ f^(-1)(f(c)) mean?

C ≠ f^(-1)(f(c)) is a mathematical statement that means the inverse of a function f evaluated at f(c) is not necessarily equal to c. In other words, the input and output of a function may not be interchangeable.

3. Why is this concept important in mathematics?

This concept is important in mathematics because it helps us to understand the limitations of functions and the importance of considering both the domain and the range when working with them. It also allows us to identify and avoid common misconceptions.

4. How can I solve unintuitive homework effectively?

To solve unintuitive homework effectively, it is important to carefully read and understand the problem, identify any patterns or relationships, and use logical reasoning and mathematical principles to find a solution. It is also helpful to break down the problem into smaller, manageable parts.

5. What are some real-life examples of C ≠ f^(-1)(f(c))?

A real-life example of C ≠ f^(-1)(f(c)) is a function that converts temperature from Fahrenheit to Celsius. The inverse function would convert Celsius to Fahrenheit, but the two values are not interchangeable. Another example is a function that calculates the area of a circle given its radius. The inverse function would calculate the radius given the area, but the two values are not interchangeable.