1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear minimization problem

1. Dec 28, 2011 #1
    Hi all,

does anyone know what type of problem this would be classified as, and what kind of algorithm I could use to get a solution?

minimize:
    P=60w1+30w2+10w3+100w4

subject to:
    P ≥ 50
    0 < wi ≤ 1

thanks very much

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2011 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What are you trying to minimize? Without this, the question is incomplete. Defining what you want to minimize with these conditions is called linear programing.

4. Dec 29, 2011 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It looks like a Linear Programming problem. The most straightforward solution algorithm is the Simplex Method.

5. Dec 30, 2011 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The fundamental result in "linear programming" is that a minimum or maximum of a linear function, in a convex polyhedron, must occur at a vertex of the polhedron. Your condition, [itex]0< w_i\le 1[/itex], says that the "feasible region" is a n-dimensional rectangle and it is easy to calculate its [itex]2^n[/itex] vertices. However, the condition S> 50, on the target function will have to be applied after determining values. Also the fact that the faces [itex]0= w_i[/itex] are NOT in the feasible region can be a problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook