1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Models: I've attached a picture, please explain how my professor got this?

1. Jul 12, 2011 #1
    Linear models is the topic

And i believe my professor wrote this n*Sum(XiYi) - Sum(XiYi) = Sum(Xi - Xbar)(Yi - Ybar)

i was hoping if some one could tell me if this is true of if it is my bad in typing down.

If it is true then can some one please tell me how?

I've attached an image i'd appreciate it if someone could explain to me the last 3 steps.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2011 #2
    And this too. I've written simplifies at the center of the paper, i don't know how they get the Betas.

Thanks

Attached Files:

4. Jul 12, 2011 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let <x> and <y> denote the x and y averages (you called them Xbar Nd Ybar). You want S = sum{(xj -<x>)(yj - < y>): j=1...n}. The nth term, expanded out, is xj*yj - <x>*yj - <y>*xj + <x>*<y>. Now sum <x>*yj = <x>*sum yj = n*<x>*<y>, etc., so we end up with S = sum(xy) - 2*n*<x>*<y> + n*<x>*<y> = sum(xy) - n<x><y>.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook