Imparting Linear Momentum: Examining a Train Car Example

In summary: The momentum of the car is not changed when the grain leaks out. The car has the same momentum it had before the grain fell in. But when the grain falls into the car, the momentum of the car is increased because the car now has more mass.
thonwer
This is not a problem, it is just a concept check :shy:

What does it mean that something does not impart linear momentum to the rest of the system?

For example grain leaking out a train car.

Physics news on Phys.org
If, for example, the car is moving left to right and the grain is leaking out downward. "Linear Momentum" is "mass times velocity" and is a vector quantity. The grain's momentum is downward but the car cannot move upward or downward and so its linear momentum does not change. Technically that is because there is an "external force", gravity and the push of the rails ffon the car.

Likes 1 person
So, for example, supposing there are no external forces on the x axis, no friction and no air drag, if I have a car with a certain mass and no holes, and grain falls in the car, it would take the car a time t to reach some point.

And, if now I have the same car but with a hole in it which let's the grain to leak out at a rate of
b kg/s , would it take the same time t, to reach the same point?

thonwer said:
So, for example, supposing there are no external forces on the x axis, no friction and no air drag, if I have a car with a certain mass and no holes, and grain falls in the car, it would take the car a time t to reach some point.

And, if now I have the same car but with a hole in it which let's the grain to leak out at a rate of
b kg/s , would it take the same time t, to reach the same point?
Those situations are different. When the grain leaks from the car, the speed of the grain equals that of the car. Not so when grain falls into the car. (Presumably.)

Imagine you were ice skating on a frictionless pond while carrying a heavy ball. If you drop the ball, will your speed change? But what if you were skating along without the ball and someone dropped it into your hands as you skated by. See the difference?

Doc Al said:
Those situations are different. When the grain leaks from the car, the speed of the grain equals that of the car. Not so when grain falls into the car. (Presumably.)

Imagine you were ice skating on a frictionless pond while carrying a heavy ball. If you drop the ball, will your speed change? But what if you were skating along without the ball and someone dropped it into your hands as you skated by. See the difference?

Yes I see it, and also I see that I may have explained myself badly. In the second case the grain also falls in the car and then it starts leaking out :shy:

thonwer said:
Yes I see it, and also I see that I may have explained myself badly. In the second case the grain also falls in the car and then it starts leaking out :shy:
Do you understand why grain leaking out of a car does not change the momentum of the car? But grain falling into the car does?

Doc Al said:
Do you understand why grain leaking out of a car does not change the momentum of the car? But grain falling into the car does?

Not really...
The grain leaking does not, because it goes vertically down and the momentum of the car is horizontal.

The grain falling into does, because it increases the mass after the "collision" so it slows down?

The grain leaking out doesn't go vertically down. It's going vertical down and also forward because it came out of a moving car.

thonwer said:
The grain falling into does, because it increases the mass after the "collision" so it slows down?

If you were moving alongside the car at the same speed and dropped sand into the car, you could drop as much sand as you wish (increasing the mass as much as you wish) and it would not affect the speed of the car.

But when the sand being dropped into the car is moving slower than the car, it "takes" some of the car's momentum to be brought up to speed.
(The momentum gained by the sand is equal to the momentum lost by the car.)

You can look at it in terms of mass if you wish: You have an increased mass with the same amount of momentum...
But the important part isn't that the sand adds mass, it's that the sand doesn't add momentum
(When the sand falls out, the car-system loses mass but it also (proportionally) loses momentum, so the speed is unchanged.)

Nathanael said:
(When the sand falls out, the car-system loses mass but it also (proportionally) loses momentum, so the speed is unchanged.)

But I thought that when the grain leaks out it doesn't change the momentum. I'm confused :S

thonwer said:
But I thought that when the grain leaks out it doesn't change the momentum. I'm confused :S

It doesn't change the momentum of the car itself (ignoring the sand in the car) but if you're looking at the car and the sand IN the car as a single system (the "car-system" as I called it) then the momentum does change (but the speed does not)

So the CAR'S momentum does not change when sand leaks out.
(But the "car-system's" momentum does change because when the sand falls out it's no longer a part of the "car-system")
I am very sorry for making this confusing, I was only trying to show you it from the "mass of the car" point of view.
(Because you mentioned that the mass of the car had an effect.)
Hopefully this cleared things up? Sorry about that.EDIT:
I keep saying sand but of course I mean to say grain (not that it makes a difference)

Last edited:
Nathanael said:
It doesn't change the momentum of the car itself (ignoring the sand in the car) but if you're looking at the car and the sand IN the car as a single system (the "car-system" as I called it) then the momentum does change (but the speed does not)

So the CAR'S momentum does not change when sand leaks out.
(But the "car-system's" momentum does change because when the sand falls out it's no longer a part of the "car-system")

I am very sorry for making this confusing, I was only trying to show you it from the "mass of the car" point of view.
(Because you mentioned that the mass of the car had an effect.)
Hopefully this cleared things up? Sorry about that.

Now I get it thank you :biggrin: so in both cases I described, the car-system would reach the point at the same time? In the first one the grain would slow the car, and in the second one too but the grain leaking out would not affect the new speed or am I wrong?

thonwer said:
Now I get it thank you :biggrin: so in both cases I described, the car-system would reach the point at the same time? In the first one the grain would slow the car, and in the second one too but the grain leaking out would not affect the new speed or am I wrong?

Yes, that is correct (assuming situation two is completely identical with situation one except that grain is now leaking out)

Likes 1 person
thonwer said:
Not really...
The grain leaking does not, because it goes vertically down and the momentum of the car is horizontal.

Think in terms of Newton's laws. For the momentum of the car to change, something must exert a horizontal force on it.

When the grain (speed = 0 with respect to the ground) falls into the moving car, the car must exert a force on the grain to carry it along. That means that the grain exerts a force on the car, changing its momentum.

But when the grain (already moving along with the car) falls out a hole in the car, no horizontal forces are involved, so the momentum of the car is unchanged.

Likes 1 person
Nathanael said:
Yes, that is correct (assuming situation two is completely identical with situation one except that grain is now leaking out)

Yes that's the situation, thank you :smile:

1. How is linear momentum imparted to a train car?

Linear momentum is imparted to a train car through the application of an external force. This force can come from the locomotive pulling the train or from an external source, such as a push or a collision.

2. What factors affect the imparting of linear momentum in a train car?

The mass of the train car, the speed at which the force is applied, and the duration of the force all play a role in the imparting of linear momentum. Additionally, any external factors such as friction or air resistance can also affect the amount of momentum imparted.

3. How is linear momentum calculated in a train car example?

Linear momentum is calculated by multiplying the mass of the train car by its velocity. This can be represented by the equation p = mv, where p is the momentum, m is the mass, and v is the velocity.

4. Can linear momentum be conserved in a train car example?

Yes, linear momentum can be conserved in a train car example. According to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. This means that the momentum of the train car can be transferred to other objects, but the total momentum of the system will always remain the same.

5. How does the principle of action and reaction apply to the imparting of linear momentum in a train car?

The principle of action and reaction states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In a train car example, the locomotive applies a force to the train car to move it forward. In response, the train car exerts an equal and opposite force on the locomotive, resulting in the imparting of linear momentum in both objects.