1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Momentum and Collisions

1. Oct 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A bullet with a mass of 4.0 g and a speed of 661 m/s is fired at a block of wood with a mass of 0.075 kg. The block rests on a frictionless surface, and is thin enough that the bullet passes completely through it. Immediately after the bullet exits the block, the speed of the block is 25 m/s. What is the speed of the bullet when it exits the block?

m1 = 4g -> 0.004 kg
    v1b = 661 m/s
    v1a = ?
    m2 = 0.075 kg
    v2b = 0 m/s
    v2a = 25 m/s

2. Relevant equations
    m1v1b + m2v2b = m1v1a + m2v2a

3. The attempt at a solution
    m1v1b + m2v2b = m1v1a + m2v2a
    (.004)(661) = (.004)(v1a) + (.075)(25)
    2.664 = (.004)(v1a) + 1.875
    .789 = .004v1a
    197.25 m/s = v1a

I've double checked this and gotten the same answer twice, but we have to use WebAssign, and the error it gives is "Your response is within 10% of the correct value. This may be due to roundoff error, or you could have a mistake in your calculation. Carry out all intermediate results to at least four-digit accuracy to minimize roundoff error." which I don't understand? I don't see what's been done wrong, and there's other parts of the problem I can't continue to until this is done. Any help would greatly be appreciated!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted