1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear momentum of particle

1. Sep 22, 2012 #1
    img001.jpg

the attachment shows my work. I honestly think maybe i did something wrong. at any rate the integrand is 1 and so not really even or odd.

any help is appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2012 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Where did the integral in your first step come from? Start with the definition of [itex]\langle \hat{P} \rangle[/itex]...

4. Sep 22, 2012 #3
    Sorry, I am supposed to calculate the average linear momentum.
    So would be <p> =∫ψ*(x)P(hat)ψ(x)dx

P(hat) = -ih(bar)(d/dx)

5. Sep 22, 2012 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The average linear momentum of what state? :wink:

Remember, [itex]\psi_k(x)=e^{ikx}[/itex] is just one k-mode of the full wavefunction for a free particle [itex]\psi(x)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} A(k) \psi_k(x)dk [/itex].

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  6. Sep 22, 2012 #5
    View attachment done pic.pdf

I think I figured it out. Let me know if it looks correct. thanks

7. Sep 22, 2012 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Does [itex]\frac{\infty}{\infty}=1[/itex]? That is essentially what you are claiming in your last step.

As for your first step, is that the definition of average momentum you are using in your course? Usually one defines the expectation value, or average, of an operator [itex]\hat{A}[/itex] in a given state [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex] as [itex]\langle \hat{A} \rangle \equiv \langle \psi |\hat{A}|\psi \rangle[/itex].

Frankly, I'm still not 100% clear on what the original problem is. Can you post the original problem verbatim (word for word)?

8. Sep 23, 2012 #7
    Just evaluate the integral [;\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dx;]. What do you get?
    Also, [; <p>= m\frac{d<x>}{dt} ;], so if you can find [;<x>;], you should also be able to find [;<p>;].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook