What is the relationship between <x> and <p> in linear momentum?

In summary, the attachment shows my work. I honestly think maybe i did something wrong. at any rate the integrand is 1 and so not really even or odd.
watanake
img001.jpg

the attachment shows my work. I honestly think maybe i did something wrong. at any rate the integrand is 1 and so not really even or odd.

any help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
watanake said:
View attachment 51114

the attachment shows my work. I honestly think maybe i did something wrong. at any rate the integrand is 1 and so not really even or odd.

any help is appreciated

Where did the integral in your first step come from? Start with the definition of [itex]\langle \hat{P} \rangle[/itex]...

Sorry, I am supposed to calculate the average linear momentum.
So would be <p> =∫ψ*(x)P(hat)ψ(x)dx

P(hat) = -ih(bar)(d/dx)

watanake said:
Sorry, I am supposed to calculate the average linear momentum.
So would be <p> =∫ψ*(x)P(hat)ψ(x)dx

P(hat) = -ih(bar)(d/dx)

The average linear momentum of what state? :wink:

Remember, [itex]\psi_k(x)=e^{ikx}[/itex] is just one k-mode of the full wavefunction for a free particle [itex]\psi(x)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} A(k) \psi_k(x)dk [/itex].

Last edited:
watanake said:
View attachment 51122

I think I figured it out. Let me know if it looks correct. thanks

Does [itex]\frac{\infty}{\infty}=1[/itex]? That is essentially what you are claiming in your last step.

As for your first step, is that the definition of average momentum you are using in your course? Usually one defines the expectation value, or average, of an operator [itex]\hat{A}[/itex] in a given state [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex] as [itex]\langle \hat{A} \rangle \equiv \langle \psi |\hat{A}|\psi \rangle[/itex].

Frankly, I'm still not 100% clear on what the original problem is. Can you post the original problem verbatim (word for word)?

Just evaluate the integral [;\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dx;]. What do you get?
Also, [; <p>= m\frac{d<x>}{dt} ;], so if you can find [;<x>;], you should also be able to find [;<p>;].

1. What is linear momentum?

Linear momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of a particle in a straight line. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and its velocity.

2. How is linear momentum calculated?

Linear momentum is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its velocity. The formula for linear momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. What are the units of linear momentum?

The units of linear momentum are kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s) in the SI system, and gram-centimeters per second (g*cm/s) in the CGS system.

4. Can linear momentum be conserved?

Yes, according to the law of conservation of momentum, the total linear momentum of a closed system remains constant, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system. This means that the total momentum before an event is equal to the total momentum after the event.

5. How does linear momentum relate to other physical quantities?

Linear momentum is closely related to other physical quantities, such as force and acceleration. It is directly proportional to force, and is equal to the product of mass and acceleration. It is also related to kinetic energy, as the change in an object's momentum is equal to the force acting on it multiplied by the distance it travels, which is the definition of work and, therefore, kinetic energy.