1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Momentum: Rocket Explosion

1. Feb 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 975-kg two-stage rocket is traveling at a speed of 5.80 x 103 m/s with respect to Earth when a predesigned explosion separates the rocket into two sections of equal mass that then move with a relative speed (relative to each other) of 2.20 x 103 m/s along the original line of motion. What is the speed and direction of each section (relative to earth) after the explosion?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]m\vec{v} = m_a\vec{v}_a + m_b\vec{v}_b[/tex]
    where m = 975 kg, v = 5.80 x 103 m/s relative to earth, and ma = mb = 487.5 kg

3. The attempt at a solution
    At first I thought that special relativity and the addition of velocities could be used to find the speed of the rockets relative to earth. Then I realized that linear momentum is in chapter 7, while relativity was in chapter 27. Therefore, that idea didn't make sense. One student suggested the following:

[tex]m\vec{v} = m_a\vec{v}_a + m_b\vec{v}_b[/tex]
    (975)(5.80 x 103) = (487.5)(2.20 x 103)(va) + (487.5)(vb)

His logic was that one could then set va and vb equal to each other, since you had accounted for the difference in velocities relative to each other. I didn't think this made sense either, but I'm at a loss for any other way to approach the problem. Any and all help is welcomed and appreciated.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted