1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Momentum

1. Apr 11, 2004 #1
    Two balls hit eachother.

One ball with a mass of 2m standing still relative to the earth. The other ball has a mass of 1m and hits the ball of 2m at a certain speed. The collision is elastic.

Could you calculate the proportion of Linear Momentum between both balls after the collision with this information?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2004 #2
    M1 = 2m
    M2 = m
    v - speed before collision
    u - speed after collision

[tex]M_1v_1 + M_2v_2 = M_1u_1 + M_2u_2[/tex]

Cancelling the mass and zero speed we get:

[tex]v_2 = 2u_1 + u_2[/tex]

Second equation:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}(M_1v_1^2 + M_2v_2^2) = \frac{1}{2}(M_1u_1^2 + M_2u_2^2)[/tex]

Cancelling the mass and zero speed we get:

[tex]v_2^2 = 2u_1^2 + u_2^2[/tex]

Two equations with two variables, you can find both u1 and u2 and therefore the ratio of linear momentums of both balls. I think it turns out to be -1...

(By the way, I assumed head-on collision here. If it's not you also need the angle.)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2004
  4. Apr 11, 2004 #3
    Thanks!... it's actually not a head-on collision, but I figured out I could manage to fit in the angle myself. If I experience difficulties I'll let you know. :cool:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?