Solve Linear Momentum Homework on Pendulum & Incline

In summary, the problem involves a simple pendulum with a 1.50kg mass and a 2.00kg mass colliding with it causing it to displace vertically. After the collision, the 2.00kg mass travels along a frictionless horizontal surface and then up a 30 degree incline with a coefficient of kinetic friction. The task is to determine the initial velocity of the 2.00kg mass when it strikes the pendulum. Conservation of energy can be used to solve this problem, and the calculation involves finding the potential energy of the 2.00kg mass at the base of the incline, which can be used as the final velocity after it strikes the 1.50kg mass.
louie3006

Homework Statement

a simple pendulum consist of 1.50Kg mass connect to a cord without any mass or friction. initially the pendulum is vertically positioned when a 2.00Kg mass collides with it, causeing the pendulum to displace vertically upward 1.25m. after the collision, the 2.00Kg mass travels along the frictionless horizontal surface until it meets a 30.0˚ incline with coefficient of kinetic friction of .400. if the mass travels a maximum distance of 1.125m up the incline, determine the initial velocity that the 2.00Kg mass strikes the pendulum with.

Homework Equations

Pο = P
mVο+ MVο = MV +mv

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Where is your attempt?

I don't know where to start?

louie3006 said:
I don't know where to start?
I think that conservation of energy might me a more appropriate concept to use here.

HINT: How much energy does the 2.00kg mass transfer to the 1.50kg mass?

so here is what i tried, but I don't know if I'm right i just followed an example in the book that is somehow similar to this problem.
m1=2.00kg
m2= 1.50kg
height to which the block and pendulum swings hf=1.25
(m1+m2)Vf= m1Vο + 0
Vο = (m1+m2/m1)Vf
Vο= (m1+m2/m1) √ghf
Vο = (2.00kg + 1.50kg / 2.00kg)√2(9.80m/s^2)(1.25m)
Vο = 8.66M/s?http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f6/kingLA/?action=view&current=04132009360-1.jpg

Last edited:
Hootenanny said:
I think that conservation of energy might me a more appropriate concept to use here.

HINT: How much energy does the 2.00kg mass transfer to the 1.50kg mass?

PE=mgh= (2.00kg)(9.80m/s^2)(1.25m) =24.5J

louie3006 said:
PE=mgh= (2.00kg)(9.80m/s^2)(1.25m) =24.5J
Does the 2kg mass traveling 1.25m upwards?

well, what happens is that the 2.00Kg hits the 1.50Kg mass which cause it to swing and then keeps moving straight forward till it reaches 30 degree incline and travels a distance of 1.125m
I posted a link that has the diagram up above if you like to look at it.

louie3006 said:
well, what happens is that the 2.00Kg hits the 1.50Kg mass which cause it to swing and then keeps moving straight forward till it reaches 30 degree incline and travels a distance of 1.125m.
So if the 1.50kg mass swings upwards, why have you used 2.00kg in your calculation of the potential energy?

I was wondering if anyone ever figured this one out completely? I think that if you get the initial velocity of the 2.00kg mass at the base of the incline then that can be used as the final velocity after it strikes the 1.50 mass, and so can be used in this equation
MVinitial + mVinitial = MVfinal + mVfinal
Is this correct thinking?

What is linear momentum and how is it related to a pendulum and incline?

Linear momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity. In the case of a pendulum and an incline, linear momentum is important because it helps us understand how the objects move and interact with each other.

How do you calculate the linear momentum of a pendulum?

The linear momentum of a pendulum can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the pendulum by its velocity. The velocity can be determined by dividing the distance traveled by the pendulum by the time it took to travel that distance.

What factors affect the linear momentum of a pendulum?

The linear momentum of a pendulum can be affected by several factors, including the mass of the pendulum, the length of the pendulum, and the angle at which it is released. Additionally, external forces such as friction and air resistance can also affect the pendulum's linear momentum.

How does the incline of a surface affect the linear momentum of a moving object?

The incline of a surface can affect the linear momentum of a moving object by changing its velocity. When an object moves on an incline, its velocity is affected by gravity and the angle of the incline. This change in velocity alters the object's linear momentum.

What is the importance of understanding linear momentum in a pendulum and incline system?

Understanding linear momentum in a pendulum and incline system is important because it allows us to predict and analyze the motion of the objects. It also helps us understand the forces at play and how they affect the objects. This knowledge can then be applied to real-world situations, such as designing structures or predicting the behavior of moving objects.