1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Linear momentum

1. Jul 6, 2010 #1
    Linear momentum 2d collision

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two particles A and B of mass [tex]m[/tex] and [tex]3m[/tex] respectively, A collides with B. Find the coefficient of restitution [tex]e[/tex] if [tex]\textbf{v}_{A}[/tex] is purely in the [tex]\textbf{j}[/tex]-direction.

Velocity of each particle before collision.
    [tex]\dot{\textbf{r}}_{A}=9 \textbf{i}+5\textbf{j}[/tex]
    [tex]\dot{\textbf{r}}_{B}=2 \textbf{i}+2\textbf{j}[/tex]

The x and y velocity components before collision
    [tex]\dot{x}_{A}[/tex], [tex]\dot{y}_{A}[/tex], [tex]\dot{x}_{B}[/tex] and [tex]\dot{y}_{B}[/tex]

The x and y velocity components after collision
    [tex]\dot{X}_{A}[/tex], [tex]\dot{Y}_{A}[/tex], [tex]\dot{X}_{B}[/tex] and [tex]\dot{Y}_{B}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    The common tangent is the [tex]\textbf{j}[/tex] axis.

[tex]\dot{y}_{A}\textbf{j}=\dot{Y}_{A}\textbf{j}[/tex] and [tex]\dot{y}_{B}\textbf{j}=\dot{Y}_{B}\textbf{j}[/tex]

[tex](\dot{X}_{A}-\dot{X}_{B})\textbf{i}=-e(\dot{x}_{A}-\dot{x}_{B})\textbf{i}[/tex]

[tex]m\dot{\textbf{r}}=m\textbf{v}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    With the values above I find the velocities after collision

[tex]\textbf{v}_{A}=(-\frac{21}{4}e+\frac{15}{4})\textbf{i}+5\textbf{j}[/tex]
    [tex]\textbf{v}_{B}=(\frac{7}{4}e+\frac{15}{4})\textbf{i}+2\textbf{j}[/tex]

How do I find [tex]e[/tex] if [tex]\textbf{v}_{A}[/tex] is purely in the [tex]\textbf{j}[/tex]-direction?

If I use(which is in the i-direction)

[tex](\dot{X}_{A}-\dot{X}_{B})=-e(\dot{x}_{A}-\dot{x}_{B})[/tex]

I get [tex]e=0[/tex], a totally inelastic collision.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2010 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What do you think is the correct expression for the coefficient of restitution when you have a collision in 2-d? How did you conclude that the y-component of each particle's momentum is the same before and after the collision? Finally, what is a "common tangent" and why is it the y-axis?

4. Jul 6, 2010 #3
    Hi

The common tangent is the plane perpendicular to the common normal plane. We are told the common normal is in the i-direction. In the course text we are told

'In an (instantaneous) collision between two smooth non-rotating objects, where the area of contact at the moment of impact lies on a common tangent plane, the velocities parallel to the tangent plane remain unchanged before and after impact.'

Thanks

5. Jul 6, 2010 #4

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, then, the coefficient of restitution is given by

[tex]e=\left| \frac{\dot{X_A}-\dot{X}_B}{\dot{x_A}-\dot{x}_B} \right| [/tex]
    You know both terms in the denominator and it is given that

[tex]\dot{X}_A=0[/tex]

Use momentum conservation in the x-direction to find the remaining term.

6. Jul 6, 2010 #5
    Hi

Thanks for the reply, in explaining to you the coordinate system it got me thinking again and obviously there is no [tex]\dot{X}_A[/tex] so obviously I need to solve

[tex]
    (\dot{X}_{A}-\dot{X}_{B})=-e(\dot{x}_{A}-\dot{x}_{B})
    [/tex]

for e

Thanks

7. Jul 7, 2010 #6

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I hope you can finish from this point.

8. Jul 7, 2010 #7
    Yes, all done, thanks again

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook