Stuck on Physics Problems? Let's Solve Them!

In summary, the person spent all day working on some problems and is now stuck on two of them. The first problem involves two battle bots colliding and sticking together. Conservation of momentum equations were used, resulting in two equations for velocity. The person needs help finding the angle and velocity from these equations. The second problem involves a bullet embedded in a block of wood, with a coefficient of kinetic friction given. The person needs help finding the muzzle speed of the bullet using conservation of momentum and kinematic equations.
joej
okay well spent all day today working on these problems so my brain is now fried, I got about 2 left out of the 100 I had to do so it's not that bad I guess, but I'm stuck on these two and got no idea where to go.

lets start with the one I got farthest in first (collision question):

1). A battle bot (mass 4.3kg) moving at the speed of 7.8m/s is on a colition course with a second battle bot (mass 5.6kg) moving at the speed of 10.2m/s. They are at a direct right angle to each other, after they collide they stick together. In what direction and with what speed are they (combined mass) moving after the collision?

now okay I do conservation of energy equations, etc. I end up with
5.77=v'sintheta
3.39=v'costheta

I know they are right but... how the hell do I find out what the angle and velocity is from those 2, I mean I'm pretty sure I have to plug them into one equation, the v' will cancel out and I should get the angle but... what equation (my math skills are failing me at the moment it seems)

this one I got less far in and I'm sure it's more than a matter of poor math skills

2). A 15g bullet strikes and becomes embedded in a 1.10kg block of wood placed on a table just in front of the gun. if the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the surface is 0.25, and the impact drives the block 9.5m before it comes to rest, what was the muzzle speed of the bullet?

so... I calculate the friction force between the blocik withe the bullet embedded and the table Ff=uma which should be Ff=um((v'^2-v^2)/2d))
I'm pretty sure that that's not the way to do this question so... if someon could point me in the right direction that would be great.

thnx in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
joej said:
1). ...

now okay I do conservation of energy equations, etc. I end up with
I assume you mean that you used conservation of momentum. Energy is not conserved.
5.77=v'sintheta
3.39=v'costheta
Assuming these are correct, find theta by dividing one equation by the other. The v' will cancel, and you'll get tan(theta) = some number. (Then use your calculator to find theta.)
2). ...

so... I calculate the friction force between the blocik withe the bullet embedded and the table Ff=uma which should be Ff=um((v'^2-v^2)/2d))
I'm pretty sure that that's not the way to do this question so... if someon could point me in the right direction that would be great.
Looks like you are trying to calculating the acceleration. That would be a = F/m = umg/m = ug. Now use the kinematic equation to find the speed of the block+bullet after the collision. Then use momentum conservation to figure the initial speed of the bullet.

thnx all solved ;)

1) What is the best approach to solving difficult physics problems?

The best approach to solving difficult physics problems is to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. This will help you to better understand the problem and identify key concepts and equations that can be used to solve it. It is also helpful to draw diagrams or make visual representations of the problem to aid in understanding.

2) How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in physics, it is important to have a strong understanding of fundamental concepts and equations. Practice solving various types of problems and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed. It can also be helpful to work in a group and discuss different approaches to solving problems.

3) How do I know which equations to use for a specific physics problem?

To determine which equations to use for a specific physics problem, start by identifying what is given and what is being asked for. Then, look for equations that involve those variables. It can also be helpful to use dimensional analysis to check if the units of the equation match the units of the problem.

4) What should I do if I get stuck on a physics problem?

If you get stuck on a physics problem, take a step back and review the information and equations you have. Try approaching the problem from a different angle, or seek help from a teacher or classmate. It is also helpful to take breaks and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective.

5) How can I check if my answer to a physics problem is correct?

To check if your answer to a physics problem is correct, you can use the appropriate units and check if the answer makes sense in the context of the problem. You can also try solving the problem using a different method to see if you get the same answer. It is also helpful to ask someone else to check your work or use online resources for practice problems and solutions.