1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear momentum

1. Oct 23, 2005 #1
    A gun is fired vertically into a 1.4 kg block of wood at rest directly above it. If the bullet has a mass of 21g and speed of 210 m/s how high will the block rise into the air after the bullet becomes embedded in it?

the total momentum in the system is 210 x .021 = 4.41,
    after the collision, the 1.421 mass is travelling upward at 3.0964 m/s... how would i find how high the mass rises into the air?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2005 #2

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

y = y0 + v0t + ½at2
    v = v0 + at
    or energy conservation (it's conserved after the impact).

4. Oct 23, 2005 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

If one has a mass M, and it has an intial velocity V, it is a simple kinematics problem. For starters neglect air resistance.

If something is traveling vertical, it will be decelerating due to gravity.

Determine the equation that describes vertical motion in a gravity field.

Alternatively, use conservation of energy. The initial energy is kinetic. The mass travels vertically until it stops (vertical speed = 0). Equate initial kinetic energy with the change in gravitational potential energy.

5. Oct 23, 2005 #4
    I got the right answer using kinematic equations (.491m) but i tried using conservation of energy and got a totally different answer:

KE initial = delta PE
    1/2(0.021)(210)^2 = 1.421 (9.8) h
    33.25 m = h
    how am i setting up the equation wrong?

6. Oct 23, 2005 #5

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

Energy is not conserved during the collision (unless the collision is elastic, which it isn't in this problem), see my first reply.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?