Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Motion Mechanism

1. Jul 5, 2012 #1
    Hey guys, I'm brainstorming some ideas for a mechanism that will be able to move an object in the vertical plane up and down, as well as left to right. Essentially I'm looking at controlling the X and Y coordinates of this moving mass. I want to be able to move in the vertical plane, lock it into place, then move in the horizontal plane and lock that position into place as well. To bring it to scale I'm talking about moving the mass at most an inch up/down as well as an inch left/right.

If there already is said object and I'm just not seeing it available, please feel free to point me in the right direction. I guess it would be easier to just buy the mechanism rather than manufacture it.

I was originally thinking of the idea of using 2 parallel tracks which works great in one plane, but makes it rather difficult when trying to change the other displacement.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated guys, thanks again!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2012 #2

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How much weight, and how big?

Edit: and what resolution?

4. Jul 5, 2012 #3
    The actual mass is around 1 to 2 lbs-force, but this may be submerged in oil so it will have some buoyancy force. It's a cylindrical shape with 1.25 inch height and .75 inch diameter. Not sure on what you mean by resolution?

5. Jul 5, 2012 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

He means, to what resolution do you need the movement/position to be accurate. Like, milimeter accuracy? Or micrometer accuracy?

6. Jul 5, 2012 #5
    Ahh, to the millimeter would be great. If we could go to the tenths of millimeter that'd be even better and more desired.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  7. Jul 5, 2012 #6

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  8. Jul 5, 2012 #7

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

9. Jul 6, 2012 #8
    thanks for the help guys, I probably should have mentioned that this will be immersed for the most part in oil also size of the mechanism needs to be as small as possible.

10. Jul 6, 2012 #9

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think either of the two options I gave you would work ok immersed in oil, but of course you could have them outside the tank with an arm that reaches in. There's no way for us to help you get any smaller than these without knowing something more about the geometry and the tank of oil it's going in. For 2" travel those are pretty compact IMO.

Remember that each of those is an off-the-shelf option that you can buy and you're done. Sure engineering your own exotic solution is possible; but it will end up more expensive, harder to document and support, and unless you're a precision motion engineer might not work as well.

11. Jul 6, 2012 #10
    Exactly, I agree. Off the shelf is a best bet. Thanks for the input. I will continue to brainstorm ideas, I like the linkage arm idea outside the tank reaching in. This device will be working with a magnetorheological fluid application.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook