How can I create a mechanism for precise linear motion in two planes?

In summary, the conversation involved brainstorming ideas for a mechanism that can move an object both vertically and horizontally, with a desired accuracy of tenths of millimeter. The object is a cylindrical shape weighing 1-2 lbs-force and will be submerged in oil. The conversation also includes suggestions for off-the-shelf options for the mechanism, including using parallel tracks or a 2" XYZ stage. It is recommended to avoid engineering a custom solution for cost and efficiency purposes.
Irish_
Hey guys, I'm brainstorming some ideas for a mechanism that will be able to move an object in the vertical plane up and down, as well as left to right. Essentially I'm looking at controlling the X and Y coordinates of this moving mass. I want to be able to move in the vertical plane, lock it into place, then move in the horizontal plane and lock that position into place as well. To bring it to scale I'm talking about moving the mass at most an inch up/down as well as an inch left/right.

If there already is said object and I'm just not seeing it available, please feel free to point me in the right direction. I guess it would be easier to just buy the mechanism rather than manufacture it.

I was originally thinking of the idea of using 2 parallel tracks which works great in one plane, but makes it rather difficult when trying to change the other displacement.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated guys, thanks again!

Engineering news on Phys.org
How much weight, and how big?

Edit: and what resolution?

The actual mass is around 1 to 2 lbs-force, but this may be submerged in oil so it will have some buoyancy force. It's a cylindrical shape with 1.25 inch height and .75 inch diameter. Not sure on what you mean by resolution?

Irish_ said:
The actual mass is around 1 to 2 lbs-force, but this may be submerged in oil so it will have some buoyancy force. It's a cylindrical shape with 1.25 inch height and .75 inch diameter. Not sure on what you mean by resolution?

He means, to what resolution do you need the movement/position to be accurate. Like, milimeter accuracy? Or micrometer accuracy?

Ahh, to the millimeter would be great. If we could go to the tenths of millimeter that'd be even better and more desired.

Last edited:
How about a pair of these mounted together with a right-angle bracket, they will get you 25 micron resolution pretty easily I think (the micrometer is actually less than 1 micron sensitivity).

7917.jpg

http://search.newport.com/?q=*&x2=sku&q2=443

You can also replace the micrometer with a locking adjustment screw like either of these:

0.7 micron sensitivity (100 TPI): http://search.newport.com/?q=*&x2=sku&q2=AJS100-2
4.0 micron sensitivity (20 TPI): http://search.newport.com/?q=*&x2=sku&q2=AJS20-2

Last edited:
thanks for the help guys, I probably should have mentioned that this will be immersed for the most part in oil also size of the mechanism needs to be as small as possible.

I think either of the two options I gave you would work ok immersed in oil, but of course you could have them outside the tank with an arm that reaches in. There's no way for us to help you get any smaller than these without knowing something more about the geometry and the tank of oil it's going in. For 2" travel those are pretty compact IMO.

Remember that each of those is an off-the-shelf option that you can buy and you're done. Sure engineering your own exotic solution is possible; but it will end up more expensive, harder to document and support, and unless you're a precision motion engineer might not work as well.

Exactly, I agree. Off the shelf is a best bet. Thanks for the input. I will continue to brainstorm ideas, I like the linkage arm idea outside the tank reaching in. This device will be working with a magnetorheological fluid application.

What is a linear motion mechanism?

A linear motion mechanism is a mechanical system that produces straight line motion from a rotary or reciprocating motion input. It is used to convert one type of motion into another, and is commonly found in many machines and devices.

What are some common types of linear motion mechanisms?

Some common types of linear motion mechanisms include gears, pulleys, belts, cams, and linkages. These mechanisms can be used to achieve different types of linear motion, such as translation, rotation, and oscillation.

How does a linear motion mechanism work?

The specific function of a linear motion mechanism depends on its design and purpose. However, in general, a linear motion mechanism utilizes a combination of rotational and sliding components to convert one type of motion into another. For example, a gear mechanism uses the rotation of one gear to drive the linear motion of another gear.

What are the advantages of using a linear motion mechanism?

Linear motion mechanisms offer several advantages, including precise and controlled movement, high efficiency, and the ability to transmit power over long distances. They also allow for compact and lightweight designs, making them useful in a wide range of applications.

What are some real-world applications of linear motion mechanisms?

Linear motion mechanisms are used in various industries and applications, such as manufacturing, robotics, transportation, and healthcare. They can be found in machines such as conveyor belts, printing presses, and robotic arms, as well as in devices like elevators, sliding doors, and medical equipment.