Linear Motion Problem. Help

In summary, Carnie is driving her parents automobile on an autumn day. While driving with the cruise control set at 50 miles per hour, she notices a construction project's road block in her lane 60 meters ahead. If it takes Carnie 0.45 seconds to react to the sign before she hits the brake to deactivate the cruise control, and the acceleration associated with the braking force is a constant -5.5m/s squared, she will travel a total of 60.5 meters before she stops.
MadnessRains
OK This is a multi step problem that I really do not understand. Here it is:

Carefree Carnie is driving her parents automobile on an autumn day. While driving with the cruise control set at 50 miles per hour, she notices a construction project's road block in her lane 60 meters ahead. If it takes Carnie 0.45 seconds to react to the sign before she hits the brake to deactivate the cruise control, and the acceleration associated with the braking force is a constant -5.5m/s squared, answer the following questions:

a) How fast is Carnie traveling in units of meters per second?
b) How far does Carnie car travel before she reacts and hits the brake?
c) Once she hits the brakes, how far does she skid, (distance traveled while braking only) before she stopped?
d) What total distance did carnie travel before she stopped (from the moment she saw the road block to the point at which she stopped?)
e)Did she hit the roadblock? Explain.

Any help on this problem would be awesome! Thank you!

Now I know that this needs an 'attempted' solution but i have no idea where to start! Help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
I have this great method for converting units that I'll share with you.
Say you have a speed of 20 feet per minute and you want to convert it to meters per second. You just write 20 ft/min and then replace the "ft" with 0.3048 meters and the "min" with 60 s. It looks like this:
20 ft/min = 20*0.3048 m/60s = 0.10 m/s
Try that with your miles per hour!

Thank you Delphi, that helps me with a. Now that I think about it, i know how to do that. I am just really overwhelmed with this problem, i don't know why.

One step at a time! Part b is just a motion at constant speed.

Ok. I can do that

1. What is linear motion?

Linear motion, also known as rectilinear motion, is the movement of an object in a straight line, with a constant velocity or acceleration.

2. How do you solve a linear motion problem?

To solve a linear motion problem, you first need to identify the known and unknown variables, such as initial and final position, velocity, and time. Then, you can use equations of motion, such as distance = speed * time or final velocity = initial velocity + acceleration * time, to find the missing variable.

3. What are the units of measurement used in linear motion problems?

The units of measurement commonly used in linear motion problems are meters (m) for distance, meters per second (m/s) for velocity, and meters per second squared (m/s^2) for acceleration.

4. What is the difference between speed and velocity in linear motion?

Speed is the rate at which an object is moving, while velocity is the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. Velocity takes into account the direction of motion, while speed does not.

5. Can linear motion problems be solved using calculus?

Yes, linear motion problems can be solved using calculus, specifically derivatives and integrals. These mathematical tools can be used to find the velocity and acceleration of an object at any given point in time.