What is the slope of the ground in the landing zone?

In summary, the problem involves skiers leaving a ski jump at a specific velocity and angle, and landing on a contoured ground where the slope is 3 degrees less than their trajectory. The goal is to determine the slope of the ground in the landing zone. There is a given equation for calculating the velocity vector at landing, but the x-y coordinates are not mentioned in the problem.
Cantworkit
[SOLVED] linear motion

Homework Statement

Skiers leave a ski jump at 28 m/s, at an angle of 9.5 degrees below the horizontal. Their landing zone is a horizontal distance of 55 m from the end of the jumo The ground is contoured at that point so that the skiers trajectories make an angle of only 3 degrees with the ground on landing. What is the slope of the ground in the landing zone?

Homework Equations

tan theta = y/x
x = x0 + v0t + 1/2gt^2
y = y0 + y0t + 1/2 gt^2

The Attempt at a Solution

t = (x - x0)/v0 = (x - x0)/v0cos9.5 = 2s
From here I can solve for the velocity vector at the landing, but I do not see how to solve for the x-y coordinates

Physics news on Phys.org
Cantworkit said:

Homework Statement

From here I can solve for the velocity vector at the landing, but I do not see how to solve for the x-y coordinates

Won't v point in the same direction as the skis? As I read the problem, the angle of the slope is three degrees less than this.

at the landing.

I would like to clarify that the given information is not sufficient to determine the slope of the ground in the landing zone. The equations provided are relevant for linear motion, but do not provide enough information to calculate the slope of the ground. In order to determine the slope, we would need to know the height of the landing zone and the horizontal distance from the end of the jump to the landing zone. Without this information, it is not possible to accurately determine the slope of the ground.

What is linear motion?

Linear motion is the movement of an object in a straight line, where the object's location, speed, and direction all change at a constant rate.

What are the types of linear motion?

The two types of linear motion are uniform linear motion, where the object moves at a constant speed, and non-uniform linear motion, where the object's speed changes over time.

What is the difference between linear and angular motion?

Linear motion refers to the movement of an object in a straight line, while angular motion refers to the rotation of an object around an axis.

What is the equation for linear motion?

The equation for linear motion is d = v * t, where d is the displacement of the object, v is the velocity, and t is the time.

How is linear motion used in real life?

Linear motion is used in many real-life applications, such as in the movement of vehicles, sports activities like running and jumping, and in the operation of machines and tools.