Solving Linear ODEs: How to Obtain the Highlighted 1?

In summary, in the original tank of water, 1/2 lb of salt was added per gallon at a rate of 2 gal/min. Then, fresh water was added at a rate of 2 gal/min, and the mixture was allowed to leave at the same rate. At the end of 10 more minutes, 1/2 lb of salt remained in the tank.
yecko
Gold Member

Homework Statement

螢幕快照 2018-02-14 下午5.55.07.png

How to obtain the "1" highlighted?

Homework Equations

multiply by μ then by dt (integration )to both sides

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
lets just consider part "2y/t":

∫2y/t from pi/2 to t
=ln(t^2/(pi^2/4)) from pi/2 to t
=ln1-ln(t^2/(pi^2/4))
= -ln(t^2/(pi^2/4))

how can I obtain the "1" highlighted?
Thank you very much

Attachments

• 螢幕快照 2018-02-14 下午5.55.07.png
    螢幕快照 2018-02-14 下午5.55.07.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 968
Physics news on Phys.org
yecko said:
2y/t from pi/2 to t
=ln(t^2/(pi^2/4)) from pi/2 to t
=ln1-ln(t^2/(pi^2/4))
= -ln(t^2/(pi^2/4))
This is not correct. Where did your ##y## go? You need to use the integrating factor.

Isnt the I.F. used in the front as a multiple of whole thing, and the back thing? How is it related to part 2y/t? Also, why is it the initial value which is 1? Thanks

yecko said:
as a multiple of whole thing, and the back thing
Please be more specific. It is impossible to understand what you mean by this.

An integrating factor ##\mu(t)## for a linear differential equation of the form ##y'(t) + g(t) y(t) = h(t)## is a function such that ##d(y\mu)/dt = \mu(t) y'(t) + \mu'(t) y(t) = \mu(t) [y'(t) + g(t) y(t)]##. This allows you to rewrite the entire differential equation as ##z'(t) = \mu(t) h(t)##, where ##z(t) = \mu(t) y(t)## and the left-hand side is trivial to integrate. Your full solution then follows from integrating the right-hand side and dividing by ##\mu(t)##. Do not forget any integration constants that will later be needed in order to adapt your solution to the boundary conditions.

Last edited:
Orodruin said:
d(yμ)/dt=μ(t)y′(t)+μ′(t)y(t)=μ(t)[y′(t)+g(t)y(t)]d(yμ)/dt=μ(t)y′(t)+μ′(t)y(t)=μ(t)[y′(t)+g(t)y(t)]d(y\mu)/dt = \mu(t) y'(t) + \mu'(t) y(t) = \mu(t) [y'(t) + g(t) y(t)].
Orodruin said:
z′(t)=μ(t)h(t)

ok, let me be more specific...
after looking at more examples, I found that almost the whole chapter use equation like this:
for y'+f(t)y=g(t), y(to)=yo
calculation: y(t)=(1/μ(t)) ∫ {from to to t} [yo+∫(g(t)μ(t))dt]
why is it yo?
Thanks

yecko said:
ok, let me be more specific...
after looking at more examples, I found that almost the whole chapter use equation like this:
for y'+f(t)y=g(t), y(to)=yo
calculation: y(t)=(1/μ(t)) ∫ {from to to t} [yo+∫(g(t)μ(t))dt]
why is it yo?
Thanks

I hope that no book you are using wrote that equation; it is 100% wrong.

Ray Vickson said:
I hope that no book you are using wrote that equation; it is 100% wrong.
this is the relationship i have found from all those example, but i have got no clues on how to prove out the part regarding f(t)...
yecko said:
multiply by μ then by dt (integration )to both sides
this is my method on trying to prove out for y'+f(t)y=g(t), y(to)=yo ==> y(t)=(1/μ(t)) ∫ {from to to t} [yo+∫(g(t)μ(t))dt]
is it wrong?
thanks

yecko said:
is it wrong?
You are most likely copying it wrong. You have
$$
\frac{d(y\mu)}{dt} = \mu(t) g(t).
$$
Integrating this from ##t = t_0## to ##t## leads to
$$
y(t)\mu(t) - y(t_0) \mu(t_0) = \int_{t_0}^t \mu(s) g(s) ds.
$$
Solving for ##y(t)## leads to
$$
y(t) = \frac{1}{\mu(t)} \left[y_0 \mu(t_0) + \int_{t_0}^t \mu(s)g(s) ds\right].
$$

Likes yecko
Thank you for your help.. can I ask one more question on the topic?

Question:
A tank originally contains 100 gal of fresh water. Then water containing 1/2 lb of salt per gallon is poured into the tank at a rate of 2 gal/min, and the mixture is allowed to leave at the same rate. After 10 min the process is stopped, and fresh water is poured into the tank at a rate of 2 gal/min, with the mixture again leaving at the same rate. Find the amount salt in the tank at the end of an additional 10 min.

螢幕快照 2018-02-15 上午9.59.55.png

How can the two highlighted part obtain?

Orodruin said:
y(t)=1μ(t)[y0μ(t0)+∫tt0μ(s)g(s)ds].
My attempt: I have tried to substitute the formula, S1(t)=e^(-0.02t) * ∫ {from 0 to t} (S1(t)/50)e^(0.02t) dt
which seems wrong...

Thanks

Attachments

• 螢幕快照 2018-02-15 上午9.59.55.png
    螢幕快照 2018-02-15 上午9.59.55.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 296
yecko said:
can I ask one more question on the topic?
That is a new problem. You should start a new thread for each problem.

1. What is a Linear ODE?

A Linear ODE (Ordinary Differential Equation) is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It can be represented in the form of y' + p(x)y = q(x), where y' is the first derivative of the function y, p(x) and q(x) are functions of x.

2. What is the difference between a Linear and Nonlinear ODE?

The main difference between a Linear and Nonlinear ODE is that in a Linear ODE, the dependent variable and its derivatives appear only in a linear form, while in a Nonlinear ODE, they can appear in any form (e.g. exponential, trigonometric, logarithmic). This makes the solution of a Nonlinear ODE more complex compared to a Linear ODE.

3. How are Linear ODEs solved?

Linear ODEs can be solved using various methods such as separation of variables, integrating factors, and the variation of parameters method. These methods involve manipulating the equation to separate the variables and integrating to find the solution.

4. What are the applications of Linear ODEs?

Linear ODEs have many applications in different fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, economics, and biology. They are used to model various phenomena, including population growth, chemical reactions, motion of objects, and electrical circuits.

5. Can a Linear ODE have more than one solution?

Yes, a Linear ODE can have more than one solution. This is because a Linear ODE is a differential equation, and the solution may depend on the initial conditions. Different initial conditions can lead to different solutions, and in some cases, there may be an infinite number of solutions.