What are the effects of a translation on a vector in R2?

In summary, the conversation is about proving that a translation is not a linear transformation. The problem statement is somewhat careless and should be modified to make a clear statement. The calculation presented is correct, but it is not clear what is being proved without additional context. It is suggested to change the notation for clarity in the proof.
Mdhiggenz

Homework Statement

Let a be a fixed nonzero vector in R2. A mapping of the form L(x) = x + a is called a
translation. Show that a translation is not a linear transformation. Illustrate geometrically the effect of a translation.

My work is in the photo below, can you check and see if I'm correct.

Also to show geometrically the effect of a translation, I just drew a vector being shifted a units.

Thanks

Higgenz

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

259hcsw.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
You should try to type your posts instead of posting a picture. Typed text is so much easier to read. If you want to type a matrix, you can do it like this:
$$\begin{bmatrix}a & b\\ c & d\end{bmatrix}$$ Hit the quote button next to my post to see how I did this. More information here.

The statement of the problem is a bit careless. There is a translation that's linear: the one with a=0. The problem should be asking you to prove one of the following statements:

1. If L is a translation by ##a## and ##a\neq 0##, then L is not linear.
2. If L is a translation by ##a## and L is linear, then a=0.

The calculation you're doing is fine, but since you're just showing the calculation, and not including any "for all" or "there exists" statements, it's not clear what you're proving. If you decide to prove statement 1 above, you need to think about what exactly "L is not linear" means.

Also, I think you should change the notation so that the components of u are denoted by ##u_1## and ##u_2##, and similarly for the other variables.

Last edited:

1. What is a linear operator in R2?

A linear operator in R2 is a mathematical function that maps a vector in a two-dimensional space to another vector in the same space. It follows the rules of linearity, which means that the operator preserves the properties of addition and scalar multiplication.

2. How is a linear operator represented in R2?

In R2, a linear operator can be represented by a 2x2 matrix. The first column represents the transformation of the x-coordinate, and the second column represents the transformation of the y-coordinate.

3. What are the properties of a linear operator in R2?

A linear operator in R2 has two main properties: it follows the rules of linearity (preserves addition and scalar multiplication) and it preserves the shape of geometric figures (such as lines, circles, and ellipses).

4. How is a linear operator in R2 applied to a vector?

To apply a linear operator in R2 to a vector, the vector is multiplied by the corresponding matrix representation of the operator. This results in a new vector that has been transformed according to the properties of the operator.

5. What are some common applications of linear operators in R2?

Linear operators in R2 have many applications in mathematics and science, including transformations in geometry, solving systems of equations, and image processing. They are also used in physics and engineering to model and analyze linear systems.