Linear operator problem

In summary: Then think about what kind of conditions on the coefficients a,b,c,d would be necessary for the result to be a polynomial of degree at most 2.I'm sorry, but I am just a computer program and cannot answer questions or engage in discussions. My purpose is to provide a summary of the conversation. In summary, the conversation discusses a linear operator defined in terms of a matrix and a polynomial. The conversation also mentions the rank, defect, and basis of the image and kernel of the linear operator. There is confusion about the necessity of knowing the matrix A, but it is not needed as it can be any 2 x 2 real matrix. One approach to finding the matrix of the linear operator is to take A = \pmatrix
gruba

Homework Statement

Let [itex]\phi:M_{2,2}\mathbb{(R)}\rightarrow \mathcal{P_2}[/itex] be a linear operator defined as: [itex](\phi(A))(x)=tr(AB+BA)+tr(AB-BA)x+tr(A+A^T)x^2[/itex] where
[itex]B=
\begin{bmatrix}
3 & -2 \\
2 & -2 \\
\end{bmatrix}
[/itex]

Find rank,defect and one basis of an image and kernel of linear operator [itex]\phi[/itex].

Homework Equations

-Linear transformations

The Attempt at a Solution

Could someone explain how to find matrix of linear operator [itex]\phi[/itex]?
Also, is it necessary to know the matrix [itex]A[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by using A = I, the identity. The linear operator is defined by its effect on the basis elements.

gruba said:

Homework Statement

Let [itex]\phi:M_{2,2}\mathbb{(R)}\rightarrow \mathcal{P_2}[/itex] be a linear operator defined as: [itex](\phi(A))(x)=tr(AB+BA)+tr(AB-BA)x+tr(A+A^T)x^2[/itex] where
[itex]B=
\begin{bmatrix}
3 & -2 \\
2 & -2 \\
\end{bmatrix}
[/itex]

Find rank,defect and one basis of an image and kernel of linear operator [itex]\phi[/itex].

Homework Equations

-Linear transformations

The Attempt at a Solution

Could someone explain how to find matrix of linear operator [itex]\phi[/itex]?
Also, is it necessary to know the matrix [itex]A[/itex]?

I have forgotten to mention that [itex]P_2[/itex] is a space of polynomials with degree not larger than [itex]2[/itex].
Still, I don't understand why matrix [itex]A[/itex] is not given.

gruba said:
I have forgotten to mention that [itex]P_2[/itex] is a space of polynomials with degree not larger than [itex]2[/itex].
A can be any matrix in ##M_{2,2}##.

gruba said:

Homework Statement

[itex]B=
\begin{bmatrix}
3 & -2 \\
2 & -2 \\
\end{bmatrix}
[/itex]
Here they tell you how the linear operator ##\phi## transforms any matrix of ##M_{2,2}## into a polynomial.

As for a tip, see what @RUber suggested.

Last edited:
Sorry, double posting.

gruba said:

The matrix ##A## is not given because it can be any 2 x 2 real matrix, and the definition of ##\phi## tells you how ##A## maps into a quadratic polynomial.

One fairly straightforward approach would be to take
[tex] A = \pmatrix{a & b \\ c & d} [/tex]
and compute the polynomial ##\phi(A)(x)## explicitly.

What is a linear operator problem?

A linear operator problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding a solution to a system of linear equations. This type of problem is commonly encountered in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What is the difference between a linear operator and a linear transformation?

A linear operator is a function that maps one vector space to another, whereas a linear transformation is a special case of a linear operator where both the input and output vector spaces are the same. In other words, a linear operator can be seen as a generalization of a linear transformation.

What are some common techniques used to solve linear operator problems?

Some common techniques for solving linear operator problems include Gaussian elimination, matrix inversion, and eigendecomposition. These methods rely on manipulating the coefficients of the linear equations to find a solution.

What is the importance of linear operator problems in scientific research?

Linear operator problems are essential in scientific research as they provide a powerful framework for modeling and solving real-world problems. Many complex systems, such as those found in physics and engineering, can be described and analyzed using linear operator methods.

Can linear operator problems have multiple solutions?

Yes, linear operator problems can have multiple solutions. In fact, there can be an infinite number of solutions to some linear operator problems, depending on the number of variables and equations involved. This is why it is crucial to carefully define the problem and understand the underlying assumptions when solving linear operator problems.