Linear Operators, characteristic polyn.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving linear operators on a two dimensional vector space. It is stated that if T is a linear operator and T is not equal to cI for any scalar c, then if U is also a linear operator on V and UT = TU, then U must be equal to g(T) for some polynomial g(t). The conversation then goes on to discuss the Cayley-Hamilton Theorem and how it can be used to show that U can be expressed in terms of T and I. The conversation concludes with a hint to use the fact that if T is not equal to cI for any scalar c, then the characteristic polynomial of T is not a perfect square.
JFo
Hi, I'm a little stuck on this problem. The question is:

Let [itex] T [/itex] be a linear operator on a two dimensional vector space [itex] V [/itex], and suppose that [itex] T \neq cI [/itex] for any scalar c. (here [itex] I [/itex] denotes the identity transformation). Show that if [itex] U [/itex] is any linear operator on [itex] V [/itex] such that [itex] UT = TU [/itex], then [itex] U = g(T) [/itex] for some polynomial [itex] g(t) [/itex]

This is what I have so far:

Let f(t), g(t), h(t) denote the characteristic polynomial of T, U, and UT respectively. Since V is two dimensional, we know that f, g, and h are of degree 2 with leading coefficient (-1)^2 = 1. Therefore there exists scalars [itex] a_0, a_1, b_0, b_1, c_0, c_1 [/itex] such that

[tex] f(t) = t^2 + a_1 t + a_0 [/tex]
[tex] g(t) = t^2 + b_1 t + b_0 [/tex]
[tex] h(t) = t^2 + c_1 t + c_0 [/tex]

from the Cayley-Hamilton Theorem, we know that

[tex] f(T) = T^2 + a_1 T + a_0 I = T_0 \ \ \ \ (1)[/tex]
[tex] g(U) = U^2 + b_1 U + b_0 I = T_0 \ \ \ \ (2)[/tex]
[tex] h(UT) = (UT)^2 + c_1 UT + c_0 I = T_0 \ \ \ \ (3)[/tex]

where [itex] T_0 [/itex] denotes the zero transformation

[tex] (1) \Rightarrow T^2 = -a_0 I - a_1 T \ \ \ \ (4) [/tex]
[tex] (2) \Rightarrow U^2 = -b_0 I - b_1 U \ \ \ \ (5) [/tex]
[tex] (3) \Rightarrow (UT)^2 = -c_0 I - c_1 UT \ \ \ \ (6) [/tex]

composing (5) with (4) we get

[tex] U^2 T^2 = (UT)^2 = (-b_0 I - b_1 U)(-a_0 I - a_1 T) [/tex]
[tex] \Rightarrow (UT)^2 = a_0b_0 I + a_0b_1 U + a_1b_0 T + a_1b_1 UT \ \ \ \ (7)[/tex]

comparing (6) and (7) we have

[tex] -c_0 I - c_1 UT = a_0b_0 I + a_0b_1 U + a_1b_0 T + a_1b_1 UT \ \ \ \ (8)[/tex]

This is where I'm stuck,,, I would like to be able to compare the c coefficients witht the a,b coefficients to come up with an equation for U in terms of I and T, but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to use the fact that [itex] T \neq cI [/itex] for any scalar c.

I realize that reading through this is a major pain in the butt, but thanks for your help (really!).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: You should be able to use the fact that if T ≠ cI for any scalar c then f(t) = t^2 + a_1 t + a_0 is not a perfect square. This implies that ab_0c_1 ≠ ab_1c_0.

What are Linear Operators?

Linear operators are mathematical functions that map one vector space to another, while preserving the underlying vector space structure. They are commonly used in linear algebra and functional analysis to study transformations between vector spaces.

What is a characteristic polynomial?

A characteristic polynomial is a polynomial associated with a linear operator that encodes important information about the operator. It is defined as the determinant of the matrix obtained by subtracting the identity matrix from the matrix representation of the linear operator. The roots of the characteristic polynomial are the eigenvalues of the operator.

How are linear operators and characteristic polynomials related?

The characteristic polynomial of a linear operator is a useful tool for studying the properties of the operator. It can be used to determine the eigenvalues of the operator, and in turn, the eigenvectors. It also helps in finding the minimal polynomial, which is the smallest degree polynomial that satisfies the operator's action on a given vector space.

Why are characteristic polynomials important?

Characteristic polynomials are important because they provide a way to study linear operators and their properties. They can be used to determine the diagonalizability of an operator, its eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and other important properties. They also play a crucial role in solving systems of linear differential equations, which have numerous applications in various fields of science and engineering.

How can characteristic polynomials be used in practical applications?

Characteristic polynomials have a wide range of applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. They can be used to study the stability of dynamical systems, model chemical reactions, analyze electrical circuits, and design control systems. They also have applications in data compression, image processing, and other areas of computer science.