How Do You Determine Linear Transformations in R^2?

In summary, to determine L((7,5)T), we can use the fact that L is a linear transformation to write (7,5)T as a linear combination of (1,2)T and (1,-1)T, which is (4,3)T and (5,2)T respectively. Therefore, L((7,5)T) = 4L((1,2)T) + 3L((1,-1)T) = (7,18)T.
IntroAnalysis

Homework Statement

If L((1,2)^T) = (-2,3)^T and L((1, -1)T) = (5,2)T determine L((7,5)T)

Homework Equations

If L is a linear transformation mapping a vector V into W, it follows:
L(v1 + v2) = L(v1) +L(v2) (alpha = beta = 1)
and
L (alpha v) = alpha L(v) (v = v1, Beta = 0)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried all kind of linear combinations, rotations and reflections, and I just can't get this one. Can someone give a hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
You first need to write out (7,5) as a linear combination of (1,2) and (1,-1), so you need to find constants a1 and a2 such that
[tex]
a_1(1,2) + a_2(1,-1) = (7,5).
[/tex]

Can you turn this into a system of simultaneous equations?

Here is another example. L(x) = vector x +x1 = (x1 + x1, x2 + x1)
So L(1,2)^T = (2, 3)^T and L(2, 3)^T = (4, 5). Therefore, the L(3, 4)^T = (6, 7)^T

We are not taking linear combinations of the first 2 vectors to arrive at the third vector.

I don't really understand your last post. Writing out the vector to which you are applying L as a linear combination of two other vectors works fine in this example with [itex] L(x_1, x_2) = (2x_1, x_1 + x_2)[/itex]:

[tex]
a_1 (1,2) + a_2 (2,3) = (3,4)
[/tex]

[tex]
a_1 + 2a_2 = 3
[/tex]
[tex]
2a_1 + 3a_2 = 4
[/tex]

Solving this system, I get a1 = -1 and a2 = 2. Then

[tex]
L(3,4) = L(-(1,2) + 2(2,3)) = -L(1,2) + 2L(2,3) = -(2,3) + 2(4,5) = (6,7)
[/tex]

as you got before. You can apply the same method to the problem in your original post.

This is not a linear combination of two vectors. I need to show a linear operator that takes
(1,2) transposed to (-2, 3). And it takes (1, -1) transposed to (5, 2) transposed.

This is not a linear combination of (1, 2) and (1, -1) problem.

It is a linear combination of (1, 2) and (1, -1) problem. If

[tex]L((1,2)^{T}) = (-2, 3)^{T},[/tex]

then what is

[tex]L \[ \left( \begin{array}{c}
1\\
2\end{array} \right)?[/tex]

IntroAnalysis said:
This is not a linear combination of two vectors. I need to show a linear operator that takes
(1,2) transposed to (-2, 3). And it takes (1, -1) transposed to (5, 2) transposed.

This is not a linear combination of (1, 2) and (1, -1) problem.
It reduces to the latter problem because the operator L is linear. Take a look again at what spamiam did in his or her last post.

Thanks for the help.
I see now that 4(1,2)T + 3(1, -1)T = (7, 5)T

Therefore L(7,5)T = 4(-2, 3)T + 3(5, 2)T = (7, 18)T

1. What is a linear operator on R^2?

A linear operator on R^2 is a mathematical function that takes a vector in two-dimensional space and transforms it into another vector in the same space. It can be represented as a 2x2 matrix and follows certain properties, such as preserving vector addition and scalar multiplication.

2. What are the key properties of linear operators on R^2?

The key properties of linear operators on R^2 are linearity, which means that the operator preserves vector addition and scalar multiplication, and the determinant property, where the determinant of the matrix representing the operator is non-zero, indicating that it is invertible.

3. How are linear operators on R^2 used in real life?

Linear operators on R^2 have various applications in real life, such as in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to model physical systems, transform and manipulate images, and solve systems of linear equations.

4. Can linear operators on R^2 have different representations?

Yes, linear operators on R^2 can have different representations, such as matrices, geometric transformations, and differential equations. These representations can all describe the same operator and can be used interchangeably depending on the context.

5. How do you determine if a matrix represents a linear operator on R^2?

A matrix represents a linear operator on R^2 if it satisfies the properties of linearity and the determinant property. To check for linearity, you can perform addition and scalar multiplication on the matrix and see if it follows the properties. To check for the determinant property, you can calculate the determinant of the matrix and see if it is non-zero.