Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Particle Accelerator

1. Aug 5, 2012 #1
    Hello everyone,
    I am designing a linac and I need some help. I would like to have protons as the particles I will accelerate, but for the propulsion I was told that using a magnetron to pulse an intense RF would be good. Will this work?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2012 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You didn't provide enough information. For example, this linac that you have, what fundamental frequency/mode does it work at, and is this matched by the RF from the magnetron? Is this an iris-loaded linac, or some other type?

Zz.

4. Aug 5, 2012 #3
    I havent actually made it yet. Just making some designs. But, it will be around the 6 MeV range and the RF pulses will be about 2.6 MW

5. Aug 5, 2012 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This doesnt have the necessary info to know if it will work. You provided no info on the working frequency, the geometry of the linac and the field, etc. Did you use an EM field code to model the field of the linac? Is this a pi mode? A pi/2 mode cavity?

Designing a linac isn't trivial by any stretch of the imagination.

Zz.

6. Aug 5, 2012 #5
    I'm sorry, but I am fairly new to working with linacs, so I cannot provide a lot of information about it. I am only trying to find some plausible ideas for propelling the protons. I will read more into everything to provide more information for you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook