Linear Permanent Magnet Generator

In summary: It doesn't seem like it would work with an AC outlet, though--it says it has a "DC input". I don't know how to make one, so I was wondering if a generator like that is the best way to go.In summary, a ForeverFlashlight uses a permanent magnet and a coil with one of them moving to create an AC in the loop. This AC can then be transferred into whatever "form" you like depending on the purpose of your generator.
Syed F. Karim
What is the most efficient way to build a permanent magnet linear generator--AC or DC, it makes no difference. I'm working on a personal project but don't know where to start. I'm assuming that a generator similar to the one inside of a ForeverFlashlight is probably the best way to go, but I'm not real sure, so I'm asking.

Physics news on Phys.org
Greetings !

Frankly, I don't know what a ForeverFlashLight is
but it probably uses a permanent magnet and a coil
with one of them moving (probably when you shake the thing ?),
an AC/DC converter and an accumulator.

In a car for example, a conducting loop is
turned between the poles of a permanent magnet thus
producing an AC in the loop (which you can then of course
transfer into whatever "form" you like depending on the
purpose of your generator, like DC to charge your accumulators).

The circuilar motion of the loop is of course due to
the chemical energy of the internal combustion reaction
in the car's engine which is transferred into mechanical
energy of the turning loop which, in turn, converts it into
electrical energy (abviously though, in a car most of that
mechanical energy is used to turn the wheels and thus
increase the kinetic energy of the car or maintain it since
energy is constantly lost to friction with the road and air resistance [zz)] ).

Live long and prosper.

Originally posted by
The Forever Flashlight uses the Faraday Principle
of Electromagnetic Energy...
Wasn't it induction ? Or did they just decide to skip
the whole story for the average buyer...
I suppose that someone spending that much on that thing
wouldn't know the difference...

Haha, yeah, I never bothered to read the article 'cause I was trying too much to find a close-up image of the thing.

Thats a cool flashlight! It has an LED instead of a bulb, and I think it has a capacitor instead of a battery.

1. What is a linear permanent magnet generator?

A linear permanent magnet generator (LPMG) is a type of electromagnetic device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It consists of a linear array of permanent magnets and a stationary or moving coil. As the magnets move relative to the coil, an alternating current is induced in the coil.

2. How does a linear permanent magnet generator work?

The LPMG works on the principle of Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction. When a conductor (the coil) moves through a magnetic field (created by the permanent magnets), an electric current is induced in the conductor. The direction and magnitude of the current depends on the relative movement of the magnets and the coil.

3. What are the advantages of using a linear permanent magnet generator?

One of the main advantages of using an LPMG is its simplicity in design and operation. It has fewer moving parts compared to other types of generators, making it more reliable and requiring less maintenance. It also has a high power-to-weight ratio and can produce electricity at low speeds, making it suitable for use in renewable energy systems.

4. What are the applications of a linear permanent magnet generator?

LPMGs are commonly used in renewable energy systems such as wind turbines and wave energy converters. They can also be used in small-scale power generation for remote areas, as well as in industrial and commercial settings for backup power generation. Additionally, they are used in some transportation systems, such as linear motors for high-speed trains.

5. What are the limitations of a linear permanent magnet generator?

Some limitations of LPMGs include the need for a constant and stable magnetic field, which can be affected by external factors such as temperature and vibrations. They also have a limited range of power output and may not be suitable for large-scale power generation. Additionally, the cost of manufacturing and materials can be high, which may impact their widespread use.