1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear position control

1. Mar 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data, I have to recommend a linear portion control sensor, that can be used in an explosive enviroment. Unsafe electrical contacts should be avoided and the case must not permit any dust or water.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution. My thoughts are either a LVDT sensor or a ultrasonic sensor for the task listed above. Anyone have any thoughts on which would be the best out of those or a better suggestion?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2015 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

LVDT is good if you can get one. They're used all over in aircraft. But they're ac devices so you'll need to phase-sensitively demodulate, probably.

Don't know nuthin' about ultrasonic sensors.
    Some kind of sealed potentiometer, maybe?

4. Mar 10, 2015 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

How severe is the environment? (Well, other than the explosions and all :smile: ) You could look into optical linear position sensing, as is used with handheld micrometers. But if the envrionment is dusty and wet, optical sensing may not be great. What resolution do you need? Are you going to build something, or just write a paper on the proposal?

http://i.stack.imgur.com/AtTpr.gif
    AtTpr.gif

5. Mar 10, 2015 #4
    The sensor case must not permit any ingress of dust or water so think the LVDT is the best option here....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted