1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Potential and Thermal Equilibrium

1. Jan 22, 2012 #1
    "Linear" Potential and Thermal Equilibrium

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a classical particle moving back and forth along the x-axis while restrained by a "Linear" potential V(x) = b|x|. If the particle is in thermal equilibrium with the environment at temperature T, calculate the mean value of the potential energy b|x|.

2. Relevant equations

Equipartition Theorem: Each term in the energy proportional to the square of a velocity or a coordinate contributes [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]kT to the mean energy at thermal equilibrium.

Where k is the Boltzmann Constant
    T is the Temperature in Kelvin

3. The attempt at a solution

Basically I'm just confused by the question. Maybe its the wording or I'm oversimplifying it.

If I used the Equipartition Theorem for the mean potential energy in the system the answer would just be [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]kT right? Seeing as the system only has 1 "degree of freedom." Obviously I'm missing the point of the equation given in the problem. V(x) = b|x|. Or how to manipulate it in order to get a logical conclusion rather then just stating the answer.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?